Update from 1.1 to 1.2 fails


Updating from Version 1.1 (no modifications, no themes, no additional mods) to V 1.2 (core) destroyed my elgg site. I have copied the files from 1.2 over those from 1.1, went to http://(site)/upgrade.php, and recieved a message 'table  (xxx)_private_settings' or so not found.

After restoring the 1.1 files i receive only a blank page when i go to my site and nothing works. Restoring the database too, it works again (Puhhh...)

Installing a fresh system with 1.2 everything works, but all data are lost.

Then i explored the database from v 1.2 and found out, that there are two new tables, geocode_cache and private_settings.

My opinion is that the upgrade routine makes some modifications with the existent tables, but does not create the needed new ones.

I would like to upgrade my existing installation with all existent data to v 1.2, therefore please give me a hint, if a new version is available for download where upgrading works.

  • The upgrade code for 1.2 adds the private settings table and one more I think. All I had to do was copy over the files and then hit upgrade.php

    You may want to take a look at this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/elgg-development/browse_thread/thread/7b6dff9a0ccac750/ed6da94fe8634bf6?lnk=gst&q=upgrade#ed6da94fe8634bf6

  • Now  upgraded from 1.1 to 1.2 with a trick:

    1.) copied all files from /v1.2/engine/schema/upgrade/ to /v1.1/engine/schema/upgrade/,
    2.) copied /v1.2/version.php to /v1.1/version.php,
    3.) executed http://site/upgrade.php,
    4.) received OK message and the start page loaded.
    5.) Now copied the rest of 1.2 files over 1.1, went to my site and logged in.

    I don't know why but this way finally worked.

    Now everything seems to be OK, but:

    1.) i checked my profile and it looks fine, all entries are present und unchanged.
    2.) clicked on 'edit profile' and saved it unchanged again, now all content in a list of 'tags' fields are reordered(reversed) like in v 1.1 (i'm used to this :-))
    3.) experimentally edited some fields and putted a mix of uppercase and lowercase chars in, saved the profile, OK.
    4.) because of i am a german edited some fields again using german special chars like ß Ä ö Ü and saved the profile.

    UPS! Suddenly all uppercase chars in fields containing german special chars are converted to lowercase and every special char (äöü) are replaced with two unreadable signs.

    Calling edit profile again and these profile fields are now empty!


    PS: this strange bahaviour only occurs in fields of 'tags' type.

  • Elgg 1.2 included a change to the handling of tags - they are all forced to be lowercase on save. There is a ticket in trac about making metadata case sensitive: http://trac.elgg.org/elgg/ticket/639

    I don't know anything about the special characters.

  • Thanks, Cash...

    in addition: the type 'longtext' fields are also affected.

    Should it be that this effect comes from the use of php function mysql_real_escape_string() in elgg function sanitise_string() in /engine/lib/database.php ?

  • I put the tag order bug in the bug tracker a couple of months ago:



  • Hi Kevin,

    in my 1.1 installation i solved this problem according to your suggestion and get a new problem:

    now initially inputted tags in a blank field will be reversed, not the existing ones :-))

  • To Cash, behaviour of 'longtext' fields:

    replaced for testing purposes line 115 in metastrings.php to:  $sanstring = $string;

    and in lontext fields strings editited with tinymce no longer url's will be destroyed and cr's, lf's wil no longer be replaced with /r /n ...

    ? (don't know how this patch affects other items across the site)



  • Hi Karsten,

    I tried your steps above. Everything seems good after i hit the upgrade.php. System message said database has been successfully updated etc..

    But when i tried logging in, system message said "You have been logged in." but i didn't redirect to my dashboard and stay on my site's homepage which is still not logged in.

  • Hi webgoddess,

    i tried upgrading to 1.2 now at least 20 times on different systems without having really success.  Now i'm waiting for a new version (1.3 - 1.4 - 1.x ?) and then i will try it again.

  • Hi I'm having the same issues as you've had, did you manage to successfully upgrade from v1.1 to v1.2 using the upgrade.php method

    I upgraded from v1.1 to v1.2 and the upgrade didnt update the database, which I didnt notice until I tried to upgrade it(v1.2) to v1.5rc1 - therefore I had to work out what changes were maded to the database in the 1.1 to 1.2 upgrade, and make those changes manually, before then getting v1.5 to make the rest of the changes automatically. So my problem lies with the users who registered when using v1.1 / v1.2 when the database wasnt in the correct format, it was still in a v1.1 state - I need to work out what is missing from those users.

    Now in v1.5 you cannot add users/comment on blogs or files or make users your friend if your trying ti interact with these old users, without the system showing a blank page first.

    Thanks for any information, if you have any.