Controlling Homepage

I am fairly new to Elgg, but the learning curve is coming along slowly. What I still don't quite understand is how to control the content on the front page. I don't need to overwrite it to make a custom one, but I would like to somehow control which content shows up. Right now I have a login box, newest members, latest blog posts, latest files, and latest groups. Can someone tell me how I can get rid of some from the front page and add others?

Thanks,
Selym

• Install the plugin vazco_mainpage, choose the settings, enable the plugin and go to Admin. Try Mainpage Widgtes. This should allow you to put in what you want there and remove the unwanted. I am using it, but some of the chosen widgets don't appear.

• Hi shillo,

Thanks for the reply. That's a premium plugin, but I was already looking into trying out vazco ads, so I may just give both a shot if you think it will work. Thanks again. :)

• Hi shillo,

Thanks for the reply. That's a premium plugin, but I was already looking into trying out vazco ads, so I may just give both a shot if you think it will work. Thanks again. :)

• Hi itmanvn,

I actually have custom_index enabled. So I should be able to move the widgets around on the home page? What exactly should I be looking for in the administration area for this?

Hmm, I did just learn from another post that the lower plugins take precedence over the higher ones, so perhaps I have something lower that is conflicting with it.

Thanks for the post.I'm gonna go take another look.

Selym

• @ selym

Who said vazco_mainpage is premium plugin? There is a free version and a premium version (with more options).

• Umm, I said it was a premium version. Yes, there is a demo version too, but after reading the following paragraph, I figured the demo wouldn't work for what I am trying to do.

"The version uploaded here is a demo version. It has limit of 2 widgets per column, and won't save the content of your HTML widgets. In the full version, available here for 20$, you'll be able to add any HTML content in between your widgets. There will be no limit of number of widgets you can place in any column."

http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/vazco/read/85679/mainpage-widgets

• @Selym

To clarify "..take precedence over the higher.." and "conflicts".

Rememer what I said ==> "OOP , Objects, Classes, Override, Extend". If you're not familiar with these BuzzWords - google for tutorials and you'll get a better idea. Elgg *is a platform/ Object/ Class ==> and we code to override and/or extend functionality. As one gets to know Elgg better and more intimately.. we learn to understand and appreciate that power.

There are no real "conflicts: per se... but rather simply mis-behaved PlugIns which cause problems which may re-use funtions names or global variables and.... poooffff !!! ;-(

• Put the PlugIns you are more interested in at the *bottom.
    • Do not activate too many PlugIns just for the heck of it - if you don't really want it don't enable.
    • Try and test one PlugIn at a time.. slowly, carefully.. so that you will know immediately if on is gonna stuff up yr site

I've seen this happen many, many times... ;-)

• I am seeing this question over and over. But no answer.

Is it a big secret?

Common??? Tell us how to hack without all these plugins.