Interal Server Error After Login

I have a few elgg sites and I set everything up and its working perfectly, but sometimes after a few days or even a few weeks I run into errors when loggin into the sites. I get the following error when trying to login:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mysite.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have no idea why this keeps happening. After completing installation I change NOTHING at all with the site or any of the files or anything at all like that. Anyone know why its happening and how to fix it.

I read somewhere that it might have to do with the .htaccess file but I never touched that file or anything so not sure why that would be the cause. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Is it hosted on shared hosting

• Learn more here..... http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/500_-_Internal_Server_Error
    Somethings it deals with files permissions

• Are there any entries in the server logs about the problem? If yes, it would really help to know what they say.

Does the problem with the server error happen every time you re-visit your site or does it occur only sometimes but your site works without issues at other times?

If the problem only occurs intermittently I would guess it's a problem with either the webserver or the database server not being able to copy with the requests. This could mean that the configuration of either the webserver (Apache) or the database server (Mysql) is not fully correct. For example the number of allowed requests / connections could be set too low. Or the caching settings do not suit the available memory size on your server (cache sizes too large --> after some time cache fills all available memory --> server unable to copy with further requests). Is your site hosted on a shared server or is it on a VPS or dedicated server? If your site is on a VPS or dedicated server you would be able to reboot the server. If the internal server errors do not occur (at least for a certain time) after the reboot, this would clearly be a sign of the webserver / database server config not to fully fit the requirements of Elgg or the limitations of the server respectively.

If the error occurs all the time for all pages (and even does not vanish after a reboot) it might rather be due to some incorrect set up of Elgg itself that you might have not noticed at first. In any case it would help to know if there are any error entries in the server logs and if there are what they say.