Problem with izap videos plugin out of nowhere!

Izap videos was working just fine on my site. Note: I'm still building my site, I haven't launched yet. So two days ago I try to embed a video from YouTube and instead or displaying the video, the only thing displayed in the video screen is a white screen and the message "error saving thumb, unable to write the file on server". Plus the embed code has dissappeared from the box where it is ussually displayed. 

I deleted the izap videos plugin (because I made some modifications in the files) and made a fresh install and the problem still persists! 

Could it be a general izap problem? Because I have a test site on a different server and the same problem occurs!

• Which version of izap_videos are you using. Is it on Elgg 1.8? I'm using an older version of izap_videos on Elgg 1.7 and embedding from Dailymotion stopped working on my site about 2-3 weeks ago, too. In case of the version I use I know that the problem is because the feed server (that delivers the embedding code based on the video url) is currently offline. In case of the older version this is mainly affecting Dailymotion as Youtube and Vimeo video urls are not depending on the external server.

I wasn't sure if the Elgg 1.8 versions of izap_videos might use another feed server and thought that maybe only the feed server for the older versions of izap_videos was disabled. I already made a posting at the PluginLotto site asking about it and also wrote an PM to the developer but got no reply in over 2 weeks.

If the embedding fails now also for izap_videos on Elgg 1.8 this "might" indicate that the izap_videos plugin was abandoned by the developer. Stupid, stupid thing to happen! Well, to be honest I was never happy about the dependency on an external server to provide the embed code for any videos. Personally, I've decided to get rid of it and to modify the izap_videos plugin on my own to be able to embed videos at least from youtube, vimeo and dailymotion without the help of any external server. I decided to built it up on the izap_videos version for Elgg 1.7 and update this version to Elgg 1.8. Unfortunately, I've not yet had the time to start with it but hopefully I will be able to do so soon (but it might still take a while until it's finished).

• Oh, yeah, forgot to mention the elgg version. I'm using 1.8.16.  Are there any other people having the same issue? Because if that is the case I'll have to swich to another video embed plugin. Next to izap videos which is the best plugin for embeding?

• iionly i am on 1.8.1.6 can you uplaod the izap video plugin you edited please? inbox me if you hae time : )

• @UK: as I said, working on a iazp_videos version without the dependency on an external feed server is the plan but I've not started on it. Most likely it will be weeks before I can even work on it. Releasing on the community site is not very likely due to GPLv3 being used as license for the plugin. Strictly speaking, GPLv3 plugins are not allowed to be released on the community (you can't select this license on the upload form). So, I would only be able to add a repo on github.

Btw, it's 1.8.16 (sixteen) not 1.8.1.6. ;-)

• @UK you could get an API from Izap. Or try the Veeplay or any other embedding plugins

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison