Can a new plugin update old plugin's settings?

Hi. I'm trying to mod the "Profile Manager" plugin to add new input types... There's a file profile_manager/lib/functions.php

which I've duplicated in my mod's directory structure, and edited. I assumed the edits would take effect when I went into the admin "Settings" of profile manager (with my mod active)... but it doesn't appear to be working. I assume that this way of updating settings of a plugin doesn't work?

Am I right in thinking that the only way to change the settings of profile manager is by changing the files of profile manager itself (ie mods won't work here?)

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Yes, only files in the /views directory can be overwritten using the 'duplicate the file structure' method.

If the functions file is dynamically loaded using elgg_register_library()/elgg_load_library you can re-register it and overwrite it that way.

What kind of modifications are you making?  Are you sure it's stuff you can't do with plugin hooks and events?

• I'm a beginner with Elgg... so not sure what the proper method is. I'm using Profile Manager which allows you to add fields to the profile... but there's isn't a checkbox type field... there's a multiselect checkbox but not a regular one... so I thought I could add that with a plugin. 

What would be the best way to do this?

Appreciate your help.