Installing elgg 1.9 subdirectory

I installed elgg in a subdirectory, but it is not working. When I try to log in or go to any page I get a 404 or get redirected to homepage.

Any ideas? I know it is on beta but I want to try this version right now

• @LT: I don't think providing the url of your Elgg 1.9 installation is of much use. It's the server configuration details that are necessary to find out more about what is going wrong. For example I see that your root domain page (texasburnout.com) redirects to your Elgg 1.8 site texasburnout.com/sn after a short period of time. How's that done? The details about webserver used (Apache or something else?), the content of .htaccess in the document root, any applications installed in the document root etc. is required to debug this problem properly.

• I have excisting elgg in subfolder SN that is why it redirects!  Until I can get the 1.9 working this is why i redirected!  No other program or file is in root besides the 1.8.16 folder "sn".

These are my server configurations and on Godaddy Shared Server!

Apache 2.4

MySQL 5.0

PHP 5.3

• The redirect from the document root to the sn subdirectory does not happen out of the blue but there must be some config created for this to happen somewhere and if it's not a .htaccess file in the document root directory it has to be some saved elsewhere.

The "No input file specified." that occurs on your Elgg 1.9 installation might be a customized error page to be displayed for 404 errors. Normally, 404 errors would occurs on an Elgg site, if the rewrite rules are not working properly or if the RewriteBase is not set correctly in Elgg's .htaccess file in case of an installation in a subdirectory (you did set RewriteBase correctly?).

In addition to these normal reasons why 404 errors occur the problem you have with getting Elgg 1.9 to work could be caused by the redirect that is implemented. The redirect could interfere with the rewrite rules of Elgg (that is the Elgg 1.9 installation as the parallel Elgg 1.8 installation works fine because the redirect points to its installation directory).

So, how is the redirect exactly implemented?

• Redirect is on the index.php as a meta refresh tag which has no effect on anything else but that page. 

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="5;URL=/sn/">

The htaccess of the network folder is set to "RewriteBase /network/ "

I have erased the htaccess on the root and still no change same effect!

• Any one have a solution?

• @Pawel, Hi. I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I didn't just suddenly decide to put in the question mark for no reason.

The error messages I was getting weren't known to me, so I searched around a little and Google was bringing up discussions about issues with rewrite and php as cgi.  My local test server is set up with php as cgi.  I tried some of the 'solutions' but wasn't getting anywhere, until I noticed that in all the suggested solutions, the .htaccess code (while otherwise identical to elgg's) had the question mark.  Tried it - and it worked.

As I wrote above, my local test server is: Zend Server on windows 8.  Apache 2.2.22, php 5.4.x (php as cgi), and MySQL 5.5.  Elgg 1.9 doesn't work in a subdirectory (parent directory empty), whereas it works fine in the root directory.

My online server is:  Ubuntu 10.04, Apache 2.2.14, php 5.3.2 (as apache module), and Elgg 1.9 works fine, no problems at all, both in root and in subdirectory.

• Just some quick update.

After trying the latest release candidate I faced this and many other issues (Clean Install). However if I upgrade from elgg 1.8.19 to 1.9 no issues.

• RJ, can you report detailed repro steps to GitHub. No one else is having these problems that I know of...