Fatal error: Class 'DatabaseException'

Hello All,

I am receiving the following error on my Elgg install. This error sits at the bottom of all of the public web pages. I cannot login to the website at all, I haven't updated the site what so ever, the last time I accessed it was a couple of weeks back (I did add social login ability, but could still login after that). I am not sure if this is on the hosts end (1and1), as I know they had some issues recently and I am experiencing other odd things on the server (currently seeking vendor support to rule out any issues with the applications themselves in order to bring data to the host). Also, when I am on the homepage of the site, after trying to login and about 30 seconds passes, I get one of the RED ELGG error boxes stating that the site cannot be reached at totallymiintereactive.com/elgg. This doesn't make sense to me since I am clearly on the site (I am sure it's something on the backend with the DBs or something).

// <![CDATA[ /** * Don't want to cache these -- they could change for every request */ elgg.config.lastcache = 1370731586; elgg.config.viewtype = 'default'; elgg.config.simplecache_enabled = 1; elgg.security.token.__elgg_ts = 1377808234; elgg.security.token.__elgg_token = '105b8ccd7b0cb2e0d8cf9280df4e61c2'; //Before the DOM is ready, but elgg's js framework is fully initalized elgg.trigger_hook('boot', 'system'); // ]]> // <![CDATA[ var EVENT_MANAGER_BASE_LOCATION = "Des Moines, IA, United States"; var EVENT_MANAGER_BASE_ZOOM = 10; // ]]> Fatal error: Class 'DatabaseException' not found in [FULL_PATH_REMOVED_]/totallymiinteractive/elgg/engine/lib/database.php on line 270

Currently, the page is protected due to errors and a sudden onset of spam accounts being created. You can access the site at http://totallymiinteractive.com/elgg with the u/n: test_access and the p/w: Supporttest2013!

Also, I was looking at disabling the addons via the code (since I can't login). Any tips on that would be much appreciated... I couldn't find any on Google or the boards here.

• Ok, I didn't put this information in... I am not sure where it came from...

// <![CDATA[ /** * Don't want to cache these -- they could change for every request */ elgg.config.lastcache = 1370731586; elgg.config.viewtype = 'default'; elgg.config.simplecache_enabled = 1; elgg.security.token.__elgg_ts = 1377808234; elgg.security.token.__elgg_token = '105b8ccd7b0cb2e0d8cf9280df4e61c2'; //Before the DOM is ready, but elgg's js framework is fully initalized elgg.trigger_hook('boot', 'system'); // ]]> // <![CDATA[ var EVENT_MANAGER_BASE_LOCATION = "Des Moines, IA, United States"; var EVENT_MANAGER_BASE_ZOOM = 10; // ]]>

• You'll find more useful info in PHP's error_log don't know where that stores that.

• Could it be the plugin you installed? Go to the Repair database utility in your cPanel.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Yeah, I am only concerned with 

Fatal error: Class 'DatabaseException' not found in [FULL_PATH_REMOVED_]/totallymiinteractive/elgg/engine/lib/database.php on line 270 (that other part was pulled in after I hit submit - not sure what that's about).

Also, I am with 1and1... there isn't a database repair utility. 

Is there a way to manually disable the plugins withoin the code itself?

• The "// <![CDATA[ /** ..." error message mentions the event manager plugin and also includes some location information. This problem could be that the event manager plugin has a problem with the Google maps embedding. I don't know what could cause this problem but there are some possibilities I can think of:

• for some reason your site (the event manager plugin) fails to connect to Google maps via the Google maps API (api key problem?) and this results in the error,
    • as your site is running on Elgg 1.8.14 the problem could be caused by a Javascript library included in any plugin that is not properly registering itself. The libraries were already not correctly registered by such a plugin before but only on Elgg 1.8.14 this resulted in a problem as there was a core bug fixed that resulted in non-correctly initialized Javascript libraries to fail. Maybe it's the event manager plugin that does not correctly initialize for example the JS library used to connect to Google maps but it might be caused by any other 3rd party plugin and the event manager issue is only a sideeffect.

In the long run I would suggest to update to the latest Elgg version because it contains a workaround to allow for Javascript libraries to be initialized again even if they are not registered correctly by a plugin developer. You might also want to update any plugins that might not be up to date.

If you have trouble to log in (and therefore can't disable any plugins), then create a file that you named "disabled" in the mod folder of your site. The content of this file is not relevant - it can be even empty. The important part is that the name of the file needs to be "disabled". If this file is present, all plugins of your site will be made inactive and you should be able to log in again. Then you can disable any plugin for real (meaning it will continue to stay disabled if you remove the "disabled" file again).

The fatal error might be connected with the other issue, so you should check if the fatal error still turns up, if you for example deactivated the event manager plugin. I would suggest to update your site to the latest Elgg release, but only update if you know that the fatal error will not occur.

• Thanks for the information! I will attempt to disable everything and start working from there. I will post back with more information, if needed.

Again, I highly appreciate everything.