Renaming Plugins Removes Them from Admin Plugin Page

Hi, if I give a plugin (its file name) a completely different name, it disappears from the Admin's plugin page. What is going on? Can one modify the name of the core plugins and plugins written by other people? Does Elgg prevent renaming of plugin folder name? Where can I access the permission to rename the plugins, if there is one? The plugin shows up again only if I undo the renaming or if I rename it with the original name in the new name string. For example, if I change the folder of a plugin called A to B, the plugin disappears from the Admin page, but if I rename it Modified_A or NewA, it shows up again. I really need to change the name completely because I want to avoid any problems such as deleting the wrong plugin because misleading name similarity. 

• It is not only renaming the folder of the plugin.

You have to edit the code of the plugin to properly work under a different name.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Hi rjcalifornia, I had changed the code of the plugin as well, but still no change. 

• Elgg identifies a plugin also by the name of its folder (as the folder name will also be part of the path to the files of this plugin). So, there's no way to have two plugins with the same name. On the other hand renaming a plugin will also make Elgg believe that there's another plugin installed (the "original" plugin will vanish and a "new" plugin will appear). But don't expect any plugin will continue to work when you rename the folder only. If there's any dependency on the folder name (e.g. registering of actions or libraries or references to image files) the plugin will no longer work.

• And also, the manifest file. Don't forget to change the manifest file.

There's a plugin me and costakisc developed called 'news' plugin, which is the core blogs plugin but everything has been renamed, folders, language files etc. You have to make sure that everything is properly changed.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Thank you iionly and rjcalifornia.