testing before hosting

hi everyone, pardon me as i am very new to all of this.  i havent much experience with network platforms, however do have a desire to try it out.

the issue i would like to address is site testing/modification as i know it will take a while before i have something viable to host(most likely on arvixe).  is there a virtual server that i can put on my personal machine for testing purposes?  if so, are there any that are recomended for elgg?

ps i did at least try to find some information in past discussions but came up empty handed. please let me know it there is an existing discussion.

thanks everyone

• You don't necessarily need a virtual machine for testing Elgg locally. You can install XAMPP on your computer, if you are on Windows (http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Install_XAMPP). Or you could install Linux in parallel on your computer. The important things to have is a webserver, a database server, and php running on your computer. Elgg works best (is most easiest to start using) with the Apache webserver and MySQL database server. XAMPP will bring the necessary environment to run Elgg or other web applications. On Linux distrubutions the necessary installation and basic configuration of the applications is done during installation normally already. You could also use for example Virtualbox to install Linux on a virtual machine under your windows environment.

If you are completely new to web application hosting and administration you would need to learn a few things not necessarily connected with installing and hosting Elgg directly. But it can never hurt to learn a few general things about server configuration and administation. It will help you later when you start hosting your site on a webserver.

• adc

sadly, i have yet to find any host who would allow you a few days to test scripts before buying a hosting package. at least however you can get starter packages dirt cheap and pay monthly, with free domain, more than enough webspace and bandwidth and, where elgg is concerned, elgg on tap.. i.e, the latest release always available in your control panel for easy installation (submit a simple form and it is installed in seconds) and updates whenever available and if you specifically purchase an "elgg hosting" package, your new host should even install the latest release for you to get you started. and of course, you can always grow your hosting. as for plugins, most of these are a doddle to install. simply download your choice of plugin from the web (usually a comoressed file), log into your hosting control panel, goto the file manager,mupload the zipped plugin file into public_html/mod and uncompress it. next, log into your elgg site, go to the administrators section, and plugins within that. all your plugins will be listed, scroll to the one you just uploaded and click on the activate button provided in its entry in the list. if a settings link becomes displayed in the entry, click on it and enter (and save) any details requested. good practice is then to click on the administrators dashboard link, and click on the button to flush the cache. then click on the upgrade button there also. next click view site.. and you will find your plugin has been installed.. look for any promised widgets in your profile/dashboard by clicking the add widgets button on those pages. depending on the plugin you might find a link or two to any services it provides under the more menu. and/or you might find additional functionality in places promised by the plugin blurb. and if you have any problems with any plugin, simply contact the developer. 

• Another alternative is virtual machine , install virtualbox or vmware software for virtualization and then you can install linux in virtual machine and use it inside of windows. This is much easier than it sounds, just search for tutorials.

• thanks for all the input.  i've already downloaded the xampp bundle(love that it inlcudes all necessary editors) and am ready to dive in.  also, as it relates to linux, more and more i'm wanting to develop a side by side partitioned win/linux machine(if only as a fun project).  looking forward to expanding my knowledge base.

thanks again.