Different object views

Hey everyone

I would like to know if it is possible to make different object views for the same object.
For example, when on the list page there needs to be a small 1 line view, when in 'full' list page there need to be a bigger object view with more information.

Another question that is kind of related, I want the objects i make with my module 'generic', when i change 1 line in the language file the object needs to be a different object name. But seeing the object view needs to be the name of the object is this possible in any way?

Kind regards 

• Hi Denis,

I would like to know if it is possible to make different object views for the same object.
    For example, when on the list page there needs to be a small 1 line view, when in 'full' list page there need to be a bigger object view with more information.

Yes this is possible, in the object view (eg /views/default/object/<yoursubtype>) there is a variable avaiable which tells you how people would like to view your object.

The variable you're looking for is $vars["full_view"] which can be true or false. If you want to learn how to use this look at the blog plugin (Elgg core) in /mod/blog/views/default/object/blog.php you can learn how to handle different things.

Another question that is kind of related, I want the objects i make with my module 'generic', when i change 1 line in the language file the object needs to be a different object name. But seeing the object view needs to be the name of the object is this possible in any way?

Changing the subtype of you object is very hard, you need to thing ahead a little when chosing a subtype.

What you can do is if you wish to have 1 view for 2 or more subtypes is: in both views of the objects just echo an another view (eg /views/default/object/subtype1 & /views/default/object/subtype2 both call elgg_view("my_plugin/generic_object_view", $vars).

If you are using language keys based on the subtype you can just ask the $vars["entity"] which subtype it is by calling $vars["entity"]->getSubtype()

Hope this helps

• Ah yes I see, the full_view is exactly what i need, thank you for this.

I see what you mean with the different views, I'll try things out with the pointers you gave me.

Thank you fro your help!

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking