Search plugin doesn't work

Hi, I know this topic has been discussed before; but unfortunatelly I haven't found an answer to fix my issue. Plain and simple "search plugin does not work". Whatever I write on the search box takes me to an error page "The page isn't redirecting properly"

I've check .htaccess rewrite rule and it is ok. This is what I get on the browser's address bar:

"http://mysite.com/pg/search/?search_type=tags&q=whatevertagiwrite"

Also I have Profile Manager plugin, which works perfect, except the search by tags. I decided to open a discussion since I my elgg version is up to date (release 1.8.14) and I'm using the default theme; so I guess is something else, and probably my fault.

• Dont forget to upgrade the contents of .htaccess with that of htaccess_dist in 1.8 package. See also http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Upgrading_Elgg#Upgrading_to_Elgg_1.8_from_1.7

• Well,I did all the backups, core replacements, new .htaccess even though I had the new one already, all the plugins off(also core plugins)and the redirections were still there. So after being over five hours with filezilla, nautilus and komodo edit on my screen my brain was burnt to liquid and almos about start a new installation from scratch; I finally noticed an interesting directory right on the root directory called "search." Went into it and found an index.php file and an error_log file opened the error log and found logs from the current date and some days before; so I deduced the directory was being currently used by the system. Nothing interesting inside though, just some DB query errors. Then I checked the elgg last version downloaded(1.8.14) and found there was no search directory on it. So opened the index.php and there was a redirection inside to "root"/pg/.....This made me feel happy as soon as I noticed it. Renamed the search directory, ran upgrade.php and voilá. Now everything is working very good. I don't really know how that file got there, most likely I never removed it when I upgraded from 1.7. Either way thank you very much to all who helped me. Hope this thread helps someone in the future.

• You should have read the upgrade docs instruction. Its clearly instructing you to remove the search folder

search (may interfere with the search plugin so definitely important to delete)

• Well, as Team Webgalli pointed out, there are some files and directories to be removed when upgrading from Elgg 1.7 to Elgg 1.8 as outlined in the upgrade instructions. SIMPLY READ UPGRADE.TXT!!! If you don't remove this stuff it's resulting in problems like for example search not working.

In my earlier posting I suggested to remove ALL files of your current installation with the exception of the files I've listed before re-installing the latest Elgg 1.8 version (and I thought it would be clear that this also includes removing of all directories). Removing all files does not hurt - I even find it faster to do and you can be perfectly sure that there are no obsolete files remaining.

If you still had the search directory after saying you followed this advice, you can't really have done what I have suggested and therefore it's not surprising that that the search still failed to work.

• Search not working when i searched like this "dsfsdgfsdgasvgbr" ... please help me

• You will have to provide much more information than that for anyone to help you. What's the plugin doing or not doing correctly? Do you have content on your site that should that search term? Have you made any changes to it?