Human Spammer Sends Private Messages

This isn't a robot, its a person doing it manually. Problem is, when I click Delete Account, their Private Messages still appear in members inboxes, but just say 'Deleted User' and their SPAM message is still visible. Is there a way to delete the user, and also have all their SPAM dissappear? There is no telling how many accounts were hit up, but they happened to hit my test account with the SPAM message, which is well passed 700 users on the list.

• I've never thought of that. Well, protecting against the human spammers could be a little bit tricky. It is hard to identify a spammer, and the least you can do is that a new user cannot send messages to 4 or more people in the same day, after 2 weeks.

However this could drive users away so it is really hard. Unless you do some sort of phone verification.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• ummmm.. 700 messages is not a bot ?!!

• Thanks for making this ticket. I am hoping that someday when I need to delete a user in the future it will also remove their private messages from the DB. I know for sure it wasn't a robot, not all the messages were the same, and this person was even in my chatroom chatting it up trying to lure people over to another site, basically trying to steal members away. They even uploaded a few pics, so I sent them a private message seeing if they would respond, and they did. Most robots will come and drop links in blogs or pages and comment on message boards, not socialize like this person. I am certain this was not a bot.

Anyways, I did block the IP and they haven't returned but the private message spam still sits in alot of peoples inboxes, with the name [deleted user] but the messages are all in tact, had a few members copy and paste their message and send it to me, and someone was actually typing it all in or copying and pasting or using a macro or something for their advertisment.

• izap has a spammer thingy, dont know if its in the bridge or video plugin, put it automatically list a person as a spammer and blocks then from posting if to many videos are posted in a given time frame.  might be something to look at and see if it can be incorp. into a message deal

• I have Izap running, and that option is available indeed, but if you mark someone as a spammer, or ban them with the option from Izap plugin, it still doesn't remove their mail they send out, it just sits in someones inbox until they open it up or manually delete it themselves.

• deleting a spammer actually does not delete their owned message objects !;-)

but 

messages are stored in duplicate ->
    one owned by the sender
    the other owned by the receiver

so

pocito problema ;-X
    moare code to locate and delete the inverses

• Right, so maybe the ticket can be updated to remove the sent spam from the sent folder plus the inbox spam that will sit in peoples inboxes until they do something with it. Anyway I am sure someone will handle this eventually, I do appreciate it you guys.

• i know what you are saying kimberly, just mentioning that the izap video will automatically ban someone for to many video posts.  if it was changed/incorp. into the messages, say 10 messages in 10 minutes or something to that effect, then they could automatically be banned and you would only be looking at 10 messages instead of 700.