Problems with links using IE8

Hey everyone. I'm having an issue that I'm hoping someone else has seen and figured out...

Some of my users are government employees using IE8 on WinXP. For those people, when they click on any link on my Elgg 1.8.6 site, the browser loses focus and gets sorted to the bottom of their running programs. Here's an example of the workflow:

1) User is logged in or not

2) User clicks the site bar, button on a group bar, or any other hyperlink on my site.

3) The browser window stays highlighted on their Windows task bar (WinXP) but the IE8 screen disappears showing the next lowest program in the viewing hierarchy. It's not minimized. It actually disappears even though the program is still running and highlighted on the Windows task bar.

4) The user must click on the IE button on their taskbar or minimize all other running programs to bring IE back to the fore.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it? I've tried to duplicate the issue on my computer and personal computers of these people outside the government network and don't get the same issue. Maybe it has to do with the IE8 browser setup or the government network setup? However, no other websites behave this way on the problem computers, just my Elgg site. I'm stumped at where to even begin tracking down what is happening and why.

• Anyone have similar experiences and solutions?

• Giving this one more shot. Any suggestions?

• Not a clue, I personally don't care about IE8, but I understand if you do.  When you say you tried to replicate it - were you able to?  Is it all users or just one?

• Yeah, I don't care for IE8 either but the feds and states are using it so I need to support it.

I was able to replicate the issue on 2 different federal computers on a federal network. I was not able to replicate the issue on several non-federal computers on private networks (no problems at all there). I haven't been able to try the federal computers on private networks to see if it is the browser or the network settings. Now that I think about it, I guess that should be my next step... Ugh.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.