Fatal error, admin setup, during installation

In the last step of the installation, creating the admin account, I get this error after clicking ok.

An unrecoverable error has occurred and has been logged. Contact the site administrator with the following information: Exception #1357221371.

I have tried 3 times, with the same results. Deleting the entire ftp folder each time and uploading it again and starting over.

• Brain:

my.. 'the drawing ' was about your database issues.
    your latest issue is about 'data folder' 

the data folder person must not be :-
            brother, sister, father, mother of the elgg folder,
    It has to be an uncle, aunt - only direct children of the grand-father.

and ps: ' sorry', 'such a noob' ?
    for how long ?
    seasons change, days change, the winds change..
    and so will you.. change!
    soon - no more a noobz
    but moare experienced.
    you've got my blessings,
    other developers' blessings,
    elgg core team's blessings...

the only thing missing --> is *your blessings !
    put in some *effort into learning what you don't know.
    then life will become more fun.

• Cim

Yes, that's exactly what was confusing me. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was not possible for me to go above my domain folder.

And then I thought that was why they wrote "outside" rather than "above". So you see it was my ignorance that confused me. But it can also help to make the elgg installation easier to deal with. I*ve installed a lot of BB forums and some other stuff, but this is the most difficulties I have ever had, even compared to the very first time i tried to install a CMS ever.

So when I learned that I was supposed to install the data folder above the domain folder, which I did not think I was allowed by the host, I went ahead and tried it. Wasn't possible. So I wrote support and they told me I had to go one more step above that to the home folder (who would have guessed that???) and that worked.

Except now the elgg installation tells me that this folder does not exist.

If anywone would like to have a go at it: http://www.songwriterworkshop.com/install.php?step=settings

data directory: /home/sww_elgg_data

• '  It has to be an uncle, aunt - only direct children of the grand-father. ' was 'confusing ??

• I can only apologize for being stupid DhurupDeScoop, and try to learn with whatever limited capacity I might have. I thank you for trying to help and your encouraging comments about how we all learn.

I have learned a lot already and I have installed several elggs now, running on different domains. Finally I can realize a lot of old ideas. Still this one last obstacle remains.

• are there any known technical weird stuff that can be happening on the host that could somehow render the data folder invisible, now that it's located at the

/home/data-folder

and the Elgg at

/home/www/songwriterworkshop.com/

?

Neither me or a programmer friend can figure this one out. I'm waiting to hear back from support on the matter.

• What are the read/write permissions of the data folder you created? If they are too restrictive, the Webserver might not be able to read (or not even see) the directory.

• data directory: /home/sww_elgg_data

That doesn't look right to me - what directory is your elgg unzipped in?
    If it's something like /home/BrianF/public_html

then you'll want to use /home/BrianF/elgg_data

In Dhrup terms - I use a 'sibling' directory.

• I just remembered another possible reason why the data directory "does not exist". You might want to ask your hoster if the "open_basedir" directive is used on the server. In case it's used and the data directory path (or it's parent directory) is not included in the list of directory that are allowed to be accessed by php it might appear that the directory does not exist.

• /home/www/songwriterworkshop.com/

/home/data-folder  
    /home/www/songwriterworkshopdata/

*and confirm this with your techSupp!

( i said it too strongly before (uncle)
    sibling dir is correct )

• i don't think it's an open_basedir problem as you can see in 

http://www.songwriterworkshop.com/install.php?step=requirements

does the data folder exist in www directory?

/home/www/datafolderhere 

if not then create a folder and make it with permissions 777

as you can see in the image below: