Problem with elgg 1.8 - after update from 1.7

Hello

My egg not working correct. When i was have egg 1.7 it works good. Now after update i have only problems.

1-st. I haven't got any layout.. http://spolecznoscgier.pl/ - on 1.7 i had two of them

2-nd. I can't install or uninstall any plugins. I have information from server - "Sorry. We could not find the page that you requested."

3-rd. When i click 'Report this' i haven't got any action.

4-rd. When i Click 'administration' i had information

Invalid Admin Section.

Invalid Admin Section.

5-th. when i click 'dashboard' next i click 'flush the caches' i had info "Sorry. We could not find the page that you requested."

Please help me anyone.

If u need more information Ask me.

Greetings

• I think you kind of install an Elgg 1.8 site instead of upgrading your site. The reason I believe this is that you have issues with the data directory because there should be no necessity to provide any information about the data directory, if you upgrade.

Deleting all files from the old Elgg 1.7 install directory is a good way to make sure that no old deprecated views remain. You don't need to touch your data directory though. In the Elgg install directory there are a few files that you need to handle separately instead of just deleting them:

3rd party plugins: you should disable all of them in the admin section of your site before you start the upgrade. As most likely none of them (including any theme plugin) will work without problems in Elgg 1.8 you should also remove the old versions bur replace them with compatible Elgg 1.8 versions. If no new version of a plugin is available you might need to go without this plugin in Elgg 1.8 or you should at least postphone enabling it again until everything else works and you can test out if you can continue to use this plugin or not.

The .htaccess file: you need to make sure that it really gets deleted when you delete the content of your install directory as it's a hidden file (on Linux / Unix systems). If you made any changes in the .htaccess file of Elgg 1.7 you should keep a record about these changes and then create a new .htaccess file for Elgg 1.8 including these modifications. To create a new .htaccess file use the file htaccess_dist as starting point and rename it to .htaccess.

The settings file: in the engine subdiretory is a file named settings.php that contains the database connection parameters (database user, database name etc.). You should note the database parameters of your Elgg 1.7 settings.php file and then create a new settings.php file using settings_example.php from Elgg 1.8 as starting point.

So, even when deleting all files from your install directory you should still have the engine subfolder including only the file settings.php with your database parameters and the new .htaccess file in your Elgg install directory. If you now copy all new Elgg 1.8 files to your server these two files won't get overwritten because they are not yet included if you would start a "new" installation. But if you already have an existing installation with database, data directory, settings.php file and .htaccess file, you will only need to execute the upgrade.php script from your browser (by entering the url http://<your.site>/upgrade.php) to finish the upgrade.

In case you moved your data directory to a new location at the same time of upgrading your site, you need to keep in mind that you don't need to enter the URL to the data directory (e.g. http//www.site.com/data) but you need to provide the path to the directory on the server's filesystem. If you really changed the location, you need to upgrade the path directly in your database for example with phpMyAdmin. But I think the only reason why you get asked to provide the path to the data directory is because you did not do the upgrade correctly but started a "fresh" installation instead.

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking