I need help!

I have problems with my file, i try to upload it to the server but the it shows me errors pls help:

• We think your server is running the Apache web server.

The rewrite test failed and the most likely cause is that AllowOverride is not set to All for Elgg's directory. This prevents Apache from processing the .htaccess file which contains the rewrite rules.

A less likely cause is Apache is configured with an alias for your Elgg directory and you need to set the RewriteBase in your .htaccess. There are further instructions in the .htaccess file in your Elgg directory.

• Open .htaccess

Look for these lines:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on

Below RewriteEngine add this:

RewriteBase /

Let me know if that works for you

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• I added the line but still there is no change pls help me fine out thks

• you may need to ssh into your server and change the apache's config settings

• "A less likely cause is Apache is configured with an alias for your Elgg directory and you need to set the RewriteBase in your .htaccess. There are further instructions in the .htaccess file in your Elgg directory."

If you are installing Elgg to a subdirectory on your domain, you need to set RewriteBase in .htaccess accordingly. This is explained in the comment in .htaccess.

"The rewrite test failed and the most likely cause is that AllowOverride is not set to All for Elgg's directory."

If you don't install Elgg into a subdirectory the likely cause if the installation to fail is a missing configuration option in Apache's config (though this could also be an additional reason for the installation to fail in case of installation to a subdirectory). Do you have access to the configuration file of your Apache webserver? If not, you need to ask your webhoster to set "Allowoveride" to "All" for your Elgg installation directory. If they won't do this (as they may not allow it on shared servers) you either need to change your hosting plan or even your webhoster. If you can edit the config file of Apache you need to add some lines like

<Directory "/path/to/Elgg/installation/directory">
       AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

You need to adjust the path according to the path to the Elgg installation directory on your server. Then restart Apache and it should work.