Overriding in ELGG and performance

Hello everyone,

I guess it is a typical question. I would like how far ELGG can be overrided without having troubles with performance.

Fir instance, I would rather not have in the source of my site some classes with "elgg-" in it. I'd rather people can't know the site is using ELGG. Is it utopic, possible or really unrecommended ?

• Great discussion. Let's say you are trying to build a commercial dotcom and "go viral", does using open source hinder that in any way? Does somewhere someone discount your system because someone else sees it is based on opensource? It's an interesting question, and I do think "viral" comes somewhat from a media network willing to hype the system, at least to a point.

• in obvious ways and also undercurrently -
    one approach intends empire and control (corporate dogma and 'capital investment'); the other intends evolution and balance (open source and freedom).

we are creating.

thus, you may encounter individuals and groups who are aligned with a corporate type of mentality which attempts to control and limit life to 'maximise profit' and 'prevent competition beating them' etc.
    who claim open source software is detrimental. however, their position is not one that is allowing all the details to be taken in to consideration. i choose not to be involved in 'business' of any kind with those with such limited thought processes at this timing in their evolution (or non evolution). 

the compressing corporate version tells you not to look at the sun and tries to sell you sunglasses and skin cream. 

the expansive version reminds you that you are the sun.

• @Matt Beckett & RvR : I'll do my best to re-use the elgg dom the most, and specify my own classes for my specific css.  Once I have elgg's dom, I guess I can add any plug-in without meeting problems (except for some css trouble, which I can correct easily).

@ura : Agreed

• @Lytho_o - that's the spirit!

@Billy - There's lots of examples of open source stuff going 'viral', look at the market share of Android - completely open source, linux based, most popular mobile OS in the world.

• jeezzz talk about popularity ? Android & iOS @ abt *almost 60/40 and #3 at like.... 8% !!! and the rest in the dust.. sheeesherzz ;P and 'someone' was talking earlier '... may find it "cheap" ?

Performance and Scalability

Performance and Scalability

If you've got a need for speed, this group is for you.