Auctions plugin - just an illusion?

I can swear I have seen such a plugin in the plugin section. But I can not find it anymore. Was I daydreaming?

• This is what I wrote on another thread:

I agree with a new direction and  a brand new strategy, but until they allow more people to be part of the elgg team (not core) this will change.

Elgg needs:

-Community Managers

-Community Moderators

-Plugins/Themes Moderators

-Moderators Moderators

Why? So the Core Team can focus on new elgg releases. And yes, it is true, they are gone. Evan is working at Google.

We need that...

• I believe Evan was at google for quite a while prior to the activity drought.  The tone of this thread seems to have adopted a "they've all abandoned us and we feel so alone" kind of a feel to it.  Can we stop treating this like it's a foregone conclusion?

• I agree with Matt. Besides, autumn is usually very busy time for all kinds of people. Summer holidays are over, the schools have started, companies are starting new projects etc. So I understand that people can't necessarily contribute that much right now. At least I am currently overwhelmed by all kinds of work tasks! :)

• i agree with Juho Jaakkola that  autumn is usually very busy time for all kinds of people. Summer holidays are over, the schools have started, companies are starting new projects etc

• We're just looking for news. Only takes a second to send a tweet. Last elgg tweet was 56 days ago.

• Caught sight of this discussion yesterday and wanted to add my two cents. I too am concerned about Elgg, future releases and the core devs... but I think what we should do is roll up our sleeves and offer to help. Clearly there is more to do and too little to do it with... If we all pitch in it seems we are more likely to pull Elgg through and get the new releases out the door. 

• Thread of everything!

OK, definitely we've dropped the ball on news/updates. We'll do better. I've been trying to pile most time into keeping up with bugs and testing the great patches we've been getting; this is time-consuming and essential. I know this has been a busy time for the other guys. I just returned from a "staycation" from my day job--first in a long while--during which I mostly spent away from a keyboard, but I still tested several pull requests. Can't escape it!

As far as a "plugin store", I've read compelling opinions from Brett in other threads (which also cover the legal bits I know nothing about) and can only say that my main personal motivation is improving the codebase. 

Open source licenses are never going to rub everyone the right way and in all situations. Some of us developers are blessed to work for organizations that allow us to release work as open source, and as far as releasing code produced for nothing, there are reasons to do this and reasons to not. I generally release FOSS because I think it will benefit my career in the long run and I enjoy getting free feedback, fixes, and goodwill in return. In a different sitation and depending on the code I may see it quite differently and I don't begrudge anyone for that.

Competing against $10/hr coderz: To an extent programming will always be a wild west marketplace where it's exceedingly difficult to judge quality in a number of dimensions. But it's also a field where one can demonstrate programming skill (at least to other programmers), communication skills, professionality, creativity, design skills, etc. You don't tend to get the full package for $10! Clients that lack the ability to judge programmers must pay a premium to find established dev agencies with a proven track record, otherwise they're just taking on a lot of risk. In theory the Elgg store would reduce that risk (but maybe just the perception of it), but again it comes down to time resources.

More moderators in various roles: I'd be open to this, and I think this is where Elgg's lack of core roles is quite problematic. We should probably consider Arck's family of roles plugins to see how we could work those in.

• @Steve Clay @Mark

The tone of this thread seems to have adopted a "they've all abandoned us and we feel so alone" kind of a feel to it.  Can we stop treating this like it's a foregone conclusion?

A long long time ago I made a request to allow people become moderators, it was on a thread. Somehow that idea never took off? It's not a 'we are all alone' it is more like 'Let us help you with the Community'

Brett on a video of the Elgg Camp SF explained that he spents quite some time removing spammers. What if we create a Spammer Role Moderator?

My point has always been to let us help you guys. However this has to be worked out. It will take some time before starting to asign roles, but it is something I would love to collaborate.

• RE: "plugin store", I've read compelling opinions from Brett in other threads (which also cover the legal bits..'  --- if one wants to talk about GNU/GPL/ $$ for code ? -> the most complelling opnions i have found are from the fsf / gnu.org website :-->  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

and if the GNU says so.. on whose lame legs do i stand on to argue against that ? it seems, is certain - that *all the other foss/gpl platform have catered for various situations,. however.. since about 2009, when discussions on such 'GPL' topics arose, the 'public' here @ community elgg were politely, firmly told 'no' ! - the rationales have never been important; just the clear message that elgg does not support all of the tenets of the fsf / gnu.org, while wordpress, joomla, drupal,  others - every platform and sometimes even their dogs support all aspects of foss/ fss/ gnu/ gpl.

in my business - i have several trivial universal beliefs :- (1) the customer is always right even when the customer is wrong  (2) take care of your customers or else someone will (3) talk to your customers. (4) it's not always 'about the code' and only the code.. you have to always remember that you are continually dealing with 'people.'if you do not understand this - you are too young to understand, give yourself some more years to learn.

for this community.elgg,.org -- we are the customers. but y'all never listen to us! never have, never do.. not once in the past 5 years.

meanwhile some very heavy-weight have left and moved on - as more than 1 of the core team has said in the past - " If you don't like... please leave " exactly what those did that will never be seen here again!

and.. there is that.. other saying - 'change or die..' we can create rules and TOSs and ban members, delete their unwanted posts, whateverl; but if you don't change.. if you don't take care of the customers.. ?!

the choice is always yours.

• No one said you can't sell GPL code. Where it gets unclear is that AFAIK the Elgg Foundation is a non-profit org and besides that I don't know whether running a marketplace would expose team members to liabilities, etc.

I'm sorry if some feel that the Elgg team has taken no input from its users for 5 years, but this notion is absurd. If your idea is rejected, just re-suggesting it over and over isn't going to win converts. Come up with more convincing arguments, or better, just start to work on the UI so the proposal can be more concrete. Whatever the idea, someone would have to design and build the thing after all.