Ok, so elgg is really good and i see the benefits but how long does it really take to master???

Forgive me, i'm not slagging off anything or anyone but it seems such an overkill to customise the simpliest of tasks with elgg.  Like the home page for example,  say i want to display a line of text and a couple of pictures and use css to do this,  with normal php coding its a very simple task.  With elgg you have to dig tons of folders, work out what the hell functions are doing and try to locate one of many css files that are cached before they even load.

How long did it actually take people in this community to get to grips with how elgg works, and is the cost of learning such a complicated system really beneficial?

as an example, i installed a test site, added a facebook plugin which is all cool and works however doing my own stuff just seems such a massive hassle to do the very simpliest of tasks.

thoughts?

I have been at this for a week now constantly and i'm at the point of trashing elgg completely.

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking