Hierarchical groups

Is it possible to have hierarchical groups or groups within groups in Elgg?

If not is there a major obstacle hindering us/ development team from having such a feature:

e.g
Sports
 |_ Womens
 |     |_Basket Ball
 |     |_Netball
 |     |_Hockey
 |_ Mens
       |_Wrestling
       |_Boxing

etc?

How feasible is it implementing it?

• I was going to reply to you days ago, but after thinking about it, it just took too much of my brain power! Rather than not comment at all, I hope a partial comment helps, at least.  I would say have a look at how the pages are handled. The pages plugin allows for lots of nested pages. If you can crack how this is all handled, you might be able to apply it to groups.

I have managed to create categories for my group using the "subtype" attribute. This works well because you can list and sort based on subtype very easily. But I would not know how to nest even further. I would personally reverse engineer the pages plugin and get my inspiration that way.

• thanks for the reply.

i have achieved a bit of nesting before using the modified tree data structure on some other project. i had a client who wanted a modified Elgg 1.0 installation with nested groups. since we only got this release, i backed off thinking that we should give Elgg time first to progress to more stable versions. I then thought perhaps a plugin can be written without having to fiddle with the core code.

• Hi guys,

i was wondering if any of you guys wer able to crack the above thing

i just want to convert the groups into user interests and where i can categorize interest to greatest and general

e.g 
    Groups
     |_ Greatest
     |_ General

this way

pls help with ur inputs

thanks 

ashish