Composer

I read all this information using Git, packageist website. I have little knowledge but growing. Here is what im trying to do. Upgrade my website which is obviously not on either of those sites. My question is do  I use composer to upgrade elgg on my server (Obviously). How ? I have seen so many scripts such as the following.

composer self-update
composer create-project elgg/starter-project:dev-master ./path/to/project/root
cd ./path/to/project/root
composer install
composer install # 2nd call is currently required
vendor/bin/elgg-cli install # follow the questions to provide installation details

1: I have no idea what to do for instance. Where do I download the next Elgg site on my local computer so that I can use composer to upload to the server where my website is located. 

2: In this script ti doesnt say where to upload the files so where do i tell it so it can look for my server, and how do I code it. 

THank you

• Upgrading Elgg

Learn Elgg docs.

Installing Elgg

Let's say you want to install latest Elgg version in this directory on your server:

/var/www/elgg/www/

Then you need to use these commands in the console:

composer self-update
    composer create-project elgg/starter-project:dev-master /var/www/elgg/www/
    cd /var/www/elgg/www/
    composer install
    composer install
    vendor/bin/elgg-cli install

Be sure your server supports all requirements.

You can also use ZIP method if not comfortable with CLI.

• I have been searching and can't find the answer to this what does /var/ refer to in "/var/www/elgg/www/"

what is the need for the  "cd /var/www/elgg/www/"? I'm thinking the create-project creates a connect to github, vendor tells the user account to connect to "cd /var/www/elgg/www/" to download elgg, but i don't see where it determines where on the server to download too.

vendor would refer to me on github correct ?

• The example above assumes that you would install Elgg to the directory /var/www/elgg/www on your server ("Let's say you want to install latest Elgg version in this directory on your server:").

Then the later commands for creating the composer project and also executing the installation would require the same path to be given in the command and changing into this directory respectively.

If you want to install Elgg into a different folder on your server you would have to provide a different path. The situation on every server can be different and therefore it's impossible to give the instructions just for every possible case. It depends where the document root folder is on your server, if you use aliases, if your server has public_html/www folders within the home directories of users etc. etc...

• I'm leasing a server and elgg is installed in the root directory, I hosting provider informed me that since it;s on a shared server I don't have access to the root directory. So how do i go about upgrading elgg ?

• ok they were wrong so here is the path file to where elgg is home/somesite/public_html

What do i put in the composer.json file so they the upgraded elgg files will load to the server.

• I guess you don't know anything about composer.

If so, why would you use it to upgrade Elgg?

Try to use manual upgrade.

Otherwise, try this:

composer self-update

cd /home/somesite/public_html
    composer require elgg/elgg:~3.3.0
    composer update
    vendor/bin/elgg-cli upgrade async -v

Please learn docs before upgrading your Elgg

• When you came out of your mothers wound, were you coding? no. no of us were. Everyone starts some where with guidance. If you don't wish to help with a bit of kindness then please don't. I'm not here for you to take your frustrations out on you can do that some please else. I'm sure there are kind people that remember what it was like starting out and want to show others the way. 

As far as your snide question, The manual way was tried and it didn't work at all, I reached out to elgg and they pointed me towards composer. Although with it's learning curve, it has been a bit rewarding. If you wish to continue to helping with a better attitude I have more questions. If not I'll wait for another wise soul in this area to come alone. 

• When you came out of your mothers wound, were you coding? no. no of us were. Everyone starts some where with guidance.

No we weren't. We had to learn like everybody else.

However if you come here with a question about how to use Composer to update your Elgg installation we assume that you understand the basics of Composer. If that's not the case please first learn how Composer works https://getcomposer.org/

Then the upgrade instructions about how to update Elgg using Composer can be followed http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/upgrading.html#a-composer-upgrade-recommended

If you have questions about the Elgg instructions we're here to help, but then we may ask what steps you already have performed or during which step it failed. We can't help with basic knowledge about Composer.

• This was my first post and I have read a lot on composer. 

"I read all this information using Git, packageist website. I have little knowledge but growing. Here is what im trying to do. Upgrade my website which is obviously not on either of those sites. My question is do  I use composer to upgrade elgg on my server (Obviously). How ? I have seen so many scripts such as the following."

doesn't mean I still understand it. I understand more than I started out. Please don't feel the need to respond to my question others can help Thank you. You are the type of tech companies don't want, thinking everyone is cookie cutter and you think you can step on us. You can go some other place with that, I'm not having it. If you don't like helping me stop trying to make it more difficult. End of discussion!!!!!

• Why are you defending some one who is being a jerk to someone trying to learn ? You assume what I haven't read, instead of asking. You all try and jump on people for not accepting your rudeness and then speak down to me for not understanding something, that's horrible. You might get a kick out of that but all you are doing is forcing people to other platforms with you ridiculous behavior. This is not the only framework and platform on the market.

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.