Fatal Error from Tutor LMS - how to recover?

Hi folks,

I am a newbie to Elgg. I have the 3.3.13 version of Elgg installed. I wanted to try out the Tutor LMS plugin. But as soon as I activated it I got the fatal error as you can see below.

1. I don't know how to recover from this. When I invoke Elgg again it just keeps showing the Fatal Error page. Is there a way to reset it so I can go back and perhaps deactivate Tutor LMS so I can use my Elgg installation?
  2. Does anyone know the solution the problem with Tutor LMS. I tried to contact the developer of the plugin but he did not respond.

Fatal Error.

Call to undefined function elgg_register_library()

Log at time 2020-12-23T22:36:54-05:00 may have more data.

#0 [internal function]: tutor_lms_theme_init('init', 'system', NULL)
#1 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/HandlersService.php(85): call_user_func_array('tutor_lms_theme...', Array)
#2 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/EventsService.php(89): Elgg\HandlersService->call('tutor_lms_theme...', 'event', Array)
#3 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/EventsService.php(173): Elgg\EventsService->trigger('init', 'system', NULL, Array)
#4 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Application/BootHandler.php(160): Elgg\EventsService->triggerSequence('init', 'system')
#5 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Application/BootHandler.php(49): Elgg\Application\BootHandler->bootApplication()
#6 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Application.php(215): Elgg\Application\BootHandler->__invoke()
#7 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Application.php(474): Elgg\Application->bootCore()
#8 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Application.php(360): Elgg\Application->run()
#9 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/classes/Elgg/Application.php(416): Elgg\Application::route(Object(Elgg\Http\Request))
#10 /home/alec/public_html/elgg/index.php(8): Elgg\Application::index()
#11 {main}
  • BTW, I found out that if I moved the Tutor LMS plugin out of the mod directory, I was able to get back in without the fatal error.

• Rohit Jain,

A trick I used if activating a plugin return the Fatal Error is to create a 'disabled' file in wwwroot/mod directory and then disable the plugin that causes issues.

Regarding the Tutor LMS, which version did you try to activate? The error said that elgg_register_library is not defined. That's because this function was removed from Elgg 3.x.x - http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/appendix/upgrade-notes/2.x-to-3.0.html

• Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response. Sorry for the delayed response due to Christmas, etc. 

I was using the Tutor LMS 1.01 release in Elgg 3.3.14. However, it says that Tutor LMS 1.01 is supposed to work with Elgg 2.3 (https://elgg.org/plugins/3061982). So, I installed Elgg version 2.3.16, even though I want the latest Elgg release, to try Tutor LMS out. But in that release I cannot activate Tutor LMS since it says Missing dependencies. When I click on it I see that is it pointing to a Conflict with Plugin: aalborg_theme, Expected value "Any" and Actual value "1.9" Aalborg_theme is already activated. If I deactivate it and activate Tutor LMS I get a really bad fatal error that even removing Tutor LMS from mod does not resolve. I just cannot get back into Elgg at all. I had to reinstall Elgg 2.3.16 to get back functioning again. So I am really looking forward to using Tutor LMS and its plugin Lessons, and in Elgg 3.3.14 if possible. But am having a frustrating time getting it to work even in 2.3.16 where it is supposed to.

Thanks for the tip on the disabled file. I assume you just put the name of the plugin into the disabled file. I will try it next time. I am wondering if there is an enable / activate equivalent. Perhaps in the fatal error I mentioned above I can disable Tutor LMS and enable aalborg_theme.

Rohit 

• 1 - Don't use LTS Elgg release. Use the latest Elgg version only.

2 - If you want to use the old Elgg and plugins are developed for it then ask the plugin's developer about issues you have.

• I did and he did not respond :-(

• Nikolai,

My intention with using LTS was to get Tutor LMS to work since it is supposed to work in that release, so I can test out the functionality it provides. I would like to use its functionality and that of Lessons which is a plugin for Tutor LMS. If it is what I want, and it sounds VERY promising, then I could see if I can somehow modify it to work with Elgg 3.3.14 if the developer just refuses to respond.

Rohit

• So, I installed Elgg version 2.3.16, even though I want the latest Elgg release, to try Tutor LMS out. But in that release I cannot activate Tutor LMS since it says Missing dependencies. When I click on it I see that is it pointing to a Conflict with Plugin: aalborg_theme, Expected value "Any" and Actual value "1.9" Aalborg_theme is already activated. If I deactivate it and activate Tutor LMS I get a really bad fatal error that even removing Tutor LMS from mod does not resolve. I just cannot get back into Elgg at all. I had to reinstall Elgg 2.3.16 to get back functioning again. So I am really looking forward to using Tutor LMS and its plugin Lessons, and in Elgg 3.3.14 if possible. But am having a frustrating time getting it to work even in 2.3.16 where it is supposed to.

I have been kinda busy with some elgg related freelance job, that's why I could not respond. I didn't know it was not working under 2.3.16

I might have some spare time next week, I will take a look into those issues.

• Conflict with Plugin: aalborg_theme, Expected value "Any" and Actual value "1.9" Aalborg_theme is already activated. If I deactivate it and activate Tutor LMS I get a really bad fatal error that even removing Tutor LMS from mod does not resolve

I did a quick test, and I didn't get any of those issues. I am using version 2.3.14

• Thanks for responding Rodolfo!  I don't know how to paste an image since it does not allow me to. You seem to have been able to do that. But in R2.3.16 it shows the conflict in that pop-up box you have above. The difference is that the aalborg_theme row is in red and the Actual value shows as 1.9 and the Comment shows as Error.

As I said, I am afraid to deactivate aalborg_theme since it gave me a fatal error that I did not know how to recover from and had to reinstall Elgg. This time I would lose some work I have done in it.

Since I am just installing the options available on A2 Hosting, it is easy for me to install 2.3.16 instead of 2.3.14.

• As I said, I am afraid to deactivate aalborg_theme since it gave me a fatal error that I did not know how to recover from and had to reinstall Elgg. This time I would lose some work I have done in it.

If you can wait, I can give it a quick look tomorrow under 2.3.16, which is the one I should be using.