Development Environment

Hello,

My Elgg site is working on my web host and I would like to have a local development environment to use for plugin creation. I used Elgg 3.3.12 since that matched my web installation.

I have more experience with front end development and have been unable to complete the install with Xampp. The other discussion threads were older and did not help me resolve this issue.

localhost/sites/install.php loads but I cannot move past the 'Database Installation' screen. I created the elgg database but may not understand a step regarding composer.json or a step in the phpMyAdmin section. I created a database user but those fields do not seem to prevent or impact the error. I can create different errors if I change my 'data' path from C:\xampp\htdocs\sites\data to something invalid.

This is the error when I click next:

Fatal error: Declaration of Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOConnection::query() must be compatible with PDO::query(string $query, ?int $fetchMode = null, mixed ...$fetchModeArgs) in C:\xampp\htdocs\sites\elgg\vendor\doctrine\dbal\lib\Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOConnection.php on line 81