Customize logout

I'm using Elgg 2.3.14 and looking to override/extend the logout action to include some custom code.  My plugin /var/www/html/mod/my-plugin/actions/logout.php has been created which has my custom code... however none of my code is being executed.  Do I need to register my custom action in the start.php and include an "actions" property in the elgg-plugin.php under my plugin's root directory?  If so, I couldn't find what the actual structure for including actions in elgg-plugin.php was.

• In first, elgg-plugin.php is not an Elgg 2 file but Elgg 3.

For custom Elgg 2 action you need to register it in your start.php.

• Thanks,, that worked.. another question regarding my custom logout.  I'd like to update the account menu to point to that new logout action.  currently I have this in my start.php:

$item = elgg_get_menu_item('topbar', 'logout');

if ($item) {

system_message("got item");

$item->setParentName('account');

$item->setText(elgg_echo('logout'));

$item->setPriority(104);

$item->setHref('action/tsnlogout');

$item->setName(elgg_echo('tsnlogout'));

} else {

system_message("didn't get item");

}

but the menu isn't updating with the new info and my system message "didn't get item" prints out when the page loads.

• found it... nevermind :-)  added 'parent_name' property when registering the menu item.

• Use menu hook.

Another way is:

elgg_register_action('logout', __DIR__ . '/actions/tsnlogout.php');

So, you don't need to add the menu's hook.

• In this case you should use a hook.

My suggestion is a new Class:

start.php

elgg_register_plugin_hook_handler('register', 'menu:topbar', [\MyPlugin\Menus::class, 'setupTopbarMenu']);

\mod\your-cool-plugin\classes\MyPlugin\Menus.php

<?php
    namespace MyPlugin;

use ElggMenuItem;

class Menus {

public static function setupTopbarMenu($hook, $type, $return, $params) {
      $return[] = \ElggMenuItem::factory([
        'name' => 'tsnlogout',
        'href' => 'action/tsnlogout',
        'is_action' => true,
        'text' => elgg_view('output/img', [
                   'src' => 'link-to-image',
                 ]),
        'parent' => elgg_echo('account'),
        'priority' => 104,
      ]);

return $return;
     }

}

• ok.. so now, I'm looking for an easy way to remove the original logout menu.  I see elgg_unregister_menu_item and tried:

elgg_unregister_menu_item('topbar', 'account/logout');

but that didn't work.. Guessing I need to somehow get the parent item and then somehow call out the child 'logout' item in order to remove it?

• Also, I tried to add an image to my topbar menu that will link to another page.  I have factChain-Pen-badg3.png located in my /var/www/html/mod/fc-plugin/graphic/factChain-Pen-badge3.png and have the following code in start.php:

$text = elgg_view('output/img', array(

'src' => elgg_get_site_url(). 'mod/fc_plugin/graphic/factChain-Pen-badge3.png',

'alt' => '', 'class' => '',

'title' => '',

'width' => '',

'height' => '',

));

elgg_register_menu_item('topbar', array(

'name' => 'factChainPen',

'href' => 'https://mytesturlFC.com',

'text' => $text,

'priority' => 1000,

'section' => 'alt',

));

doesn't appear at all :-(

• Thanks for the help, yes learn,try,search is the best approach, some of these items have required a quick turnaround so sometimes the research time makes it difficult to hit some deadlines.. It doesn't feel good asking for solutions without being thorough first so I know where you're coming from.  So thanks for all the help you've provided thus far. This is my first project with elgg and php so it has definitely been a learning experience.