ERROR: The view resources/error is missing

Hi, just did a fresh install using composer of release 2.3.6.

The install went fine.

Copied over my old .htaccess and elgg-config.

when i try and launch elgg i get the following in the php_error.log file over and over again.

ERROR: The view resources/error is missing

thoughts?

• It is referring to this file: https://github.com/Elgg/Elgg/blob/2.3/views/default/resources/error.php

Check if error.php exists in your elgg directory "vendor/elgg/elgg/views/default/resources". If not create a file and copy the content from the link given above.

• Hi, in 2.3.6, that path vendor/elgg/elgg/views/default/resources doesn't exist.

In 2.3.6 the path for that file is: /views/default/resources 

am i missing something?

• Alright. to add further is would seem to be a bug with the installer when you already have a settings.php file in the config directory.

i will have to go find that issue and get this fixed.

• Ok i stand corrected. the error is still there after getting through the installer successfully..

The logs:

ERROR: The view resources/error is missing.

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 16384 bytes) in /home/admin/web/XXXXXXX/public_html/XXXXXX/engine/classes/Elgg/Logger.php on line 251

• I don't know which version of Elgg you used before trying to upgrade to Elgg 2.3. But it's very likely that you can't simply overwrite .htaccess and settings.php created by the installation of Elgg 2.3.6 with the old .htaccess and settings.php of your old installation. Maybe it works with settings.php but only because it might not even necessary to overwrite it. The point is that these two files could have changed between your old version and Elgg 2.3. The changes would be site-independent modifications like new config variables in settings.php or modified rewrite rules in .htaccess.

Changes in rewrite rules are likely responsible for the problem you have when overwriting .htaccess with your old .htaccess. The urls can't get correctly resolved and views are not found. You wouldn't just have to simply overwrite these files but you would rather need to compare the new files with your existing files and you would only need to merge any changes you did on your own into the new files. And in case of settings.php you would also need to merge the database credentials (username, db name, etc.).

If you still would get missing views then, there might be really some files missing in your installation. On the other hand you might also need to make sure that you don't just copy the new Elgg version over the old version as this could result in obsolete files of the old Elgg version remaining that are no longer part of the new Elgg version. Just follow the upgrade instructions at http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/upgrading.html to get the upgrade done right.

• I made an application in ELGG on the server, and i want to pull the project, the issues is that i´m not able to install the project on my local machine, i don´t want to lose my project!!, the php_error.log show this 

[02-Sep-2019 20:30:13 UTC] ERROR: The view resources/error is missing.
    [02-Sep-2019 20:30:13 UTC] ERROR: The view resources/error is missing.
    [02-Sep-2019 20:30:13 UTC] Exception at time 1567456213: Error: Maximum function nesting level of '256' reached, aborting! 

I checked the error.php and is there ... anyone can help me!!!