My Installation experience

1) Uploaded the whole thing with FTP
2) Upon beginning installation I get message "No input file specified."
    I bypass this by using the HTACCESS file from wordpress (this should not even happen)
3) I finally figured out the "direct path" problem
4) The rest went smooth until logging in. There is no theme layout. Just text.

This is the 2nd time I give Elgg a chance. i hoped it would go better this time, but no...

Conclusion - Elgg does not work properly.

• I bypass this by using the HTACCESS file from wordpress (this should not even happen)

Correct, htacess file is auto generated when Installing Elgg.

Conclusion - Elgg does not work properly.

I guess you are the only one for whom elgg is not working. For rest, it working absolutely fine. Infact even the pre released version of elgg 3 is working smoothly.

I am not sure why are you facing any challenge.

• Look at the amount of people that can't get the installation to run smoothly. Do a search. I am not the only one.

If it is working fine, how come it doesn't work for me? Arrogance is ugly and actually i saw the same arrogance last time I addressed the issue. Great that the coding geeks can make things work, but for the normal people - it's useless and a waste of time to invest time in a faulty installation process.

I tested some 20 CMS's. They all went smooth. No problems. I think it is about people trying to show off skills rather than to create universal functionality.
    Try UNA from Boonex. Smooth and easy, followed by an explosive system. You'll see what I mean.

• Look at the amount of people that can't get the installation to run smoothly. Do a search. I am not the only one.

Other people are able to get it working with the help of this community only. There might be challenges but its not like that it cannot be solved.

Arrogance is ugly and actually i saw the same arrogance last time I addressed the issue. Great that the coding geeks can make things work, but for the normal people - it's useless and a waste of time to invest time in a faulty installation process.

People are happy to help here. That's how opensource work. I am running 3 website on elgg and all of them are working perfectly fine. It's not just geek, normal people are also using it.

Try UNA from Boonex. Smooth and easy, followed by an explosive system. You'll see what I mean.

I did tried lots of CMS myself and finally settled on elgg because all those CMS were not as per my requirement as there were lot of functionality missing. Elgg has the functionality that allow someone to easily develop new features. Thats the main thing that attracted me to use elgg.

Infact I recently participated in a hackathon where I used Elgg 3.0 RC2 as a framework and tried to integrate block chain on it, and it went really well. Show me other CMS that gives you such freedom.

Again, do share something like error logs that will help other to help you.

• Oh gosh! Help with an installation? Really?

Good for you that Elgg works. But the focus here is all the ones that can't.

Nah - This is second time. I'm done with Elgg...

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking