Installing Elgg

Okay, so I overcame the first hurdle installing Elgg, by using the .htaccess file from wordpress. (rofl)

Second installation hurdle is the data directory. I have read through other threads and tried all possible combinations - even those people said didn't work.

I get either "We don't think [blah/blah/blah] is an absolute path for your data directory"(like I care what you think) or "We don't think [blah/blah/blah] is an absolute path for your data directory".

I have created several [data] directories in odd places and none of them are accepted.

I gather making the site itself is easier and more smooth than the installation....

• Nah - forget it... i have been doing this for four hours and I am not going to waste lifetime on it.

I like open source - provided it actually works for people...

• We install Elgg sites almost monthly and always get them up and running within 5 minutes.

1. Download the current Elgg version from https://elgg.org/about/download
    2. unzip in folder on webserver
    3. go to web url
    4. follow installation steps
    5. 5-10 minutes later done
  • As it says: absolute path. So, not bla/bla/bla but /bla/bla/bla.

• Okay okay - I tried again today, after calming my parrot from having a psychotic episode. 

2 new installations. fast as advised and slow ftp.
    Both came with "No input file specified." - used htaccess file from wordpress to bypass both.

With faint hope, I began the installation procedure, but - nothing... Same story it switches between one of the two error messages. It's like two different ways of "/fuck off/I've got a headache".

Considering to edit the installation to bypass that step of "security"... Which leads me to think - why not let people decide themselves if they want overrated security or just a normal smooth life?

• Elgg comes with its own .htaccess file. Why don't you use just that and try with a Wordpress .htaccess instead? The .htaccess file of Elgg is already in the zip at the right place (to be placed into the install folder of Elgg) and if there wouldn't be a .htaccess file present during installation Elgg would create it automatically if it can write to the intall folder (for the installation only).

Using another .htaccess file most likely is already one reason why you have issues later on with the installation. If the .htaccess file of Elgg fails to work for you, the server might not fulfill the requirements of Elgg (http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/intro/install.html) namely mod_rewrite not available or not correctly configured (AllowOverride). There's no need to edit .htaccess to "bypass" security. And I wouid think that most people would disagree with providing a solution that is not safe by default. Why don't just try to follow the install instructions as they are and see if it works better then?

• That is exactly the issue - I DID follow the crappy instructions - and more...

As for the Elgg htaccess, I get the error message "No input file specified."
    The error ceases using the wordpress htaccess file. (read what I write)

In the Elgg installation, as far as I got there is a link which would explain about the Path issue... but that link doesn't work. It gives an empty page. Woops.

Pointing at the consumer as the one with the fault, is not the right way. It's like saying to people to buy one smartphone brand over another, because the developers are too lazy to fix the software.
    But - hey - that is what the world is like today. Everybody are perfect and cannot make errors in anything if other people mention it.

I understand that security is a popular thing to take care of and it makes people feel like heroes - but it's bothersome and lowers the quality of the product. If people want high security, let it be by choice and have  them download modules instead.

When I want a CMS product, I don't expect to download a security system, but a CMS product. If your product doesn't work - fix it and don't ask the user to stop trying to work around your errors. 

If you don't people to work around the precious security, then make the installation in such a way that it works for people. Too many people around that pretend to be smarter than they are,I guess...

If you got offended - good .. Maybe that can be a motivation to applying a solution to the problem, which I am not alone in having.

• I get either "We don't think [blah/blah/blah] is an absolute path for your data directory"(like I care what you think) or "We don't think [blah/blah/blah] is an absolute path for your data directory".

Like iionly said, the installation requires an absolute path. On windows it starts with a drive letter, on Unix systems (linux, macos, etc) it start with /.

"No input file specified."

There is no such error message in the entire Elgg code. Maybe show us a screenshot to help us track down your problem.

In the Elgg installation, as far as I got there is a link which would explain about the Path issue... but that link doesn't work. It gives an empty page. Woops.

Unfortunately that can sometimes happen. I found the wrong link, the correct link is http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/intro/install.html#create-a-data-folder

Pointing at the consumer as the one with the fault, is not the right way.

That's rights but as we don't get daily reports about installation problems, and it works fine for most of us, the first place to start solving a problem is with the installation environment of the customer with the problem, not our code.

If your product doesn't work - fix it and don't ask the user to stop trying to work around your errors

When we find a problem in the installation process we'll fix it, but first we have to know if it's a problem on your side, or in our code.

If you got offended - good .. Maybe that can be a motivation to applying a solution to the problem, which I am not alone in having.

You may not be the only one, but certainly you're in the minority as we don't get many reports about installation failures.

• I jumped to Known (https://withknown.com/) instead. Installation was smooth and easy. Interface immensely friendly... And support is actually helpful, responsive and non-arrogant.

I will have about 14 million users, being happy with Known.

• when i go through the comment section i can see your problem is said as blah/blah/blah & i am pretty sure it has nothing to do with elgg may be with your dummy server that has the blah/blah/blah problem or your file permission is not set properly.. First come down from your arrogance for the elgg community to help you with a proper solution & we are not magicians to sort out your problem without giving a proper error msg/screenshot ..  

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking