'@' symbol getting appended to profile URL

I'm on the newest Elgg (v. 2.3.6).  I installed the Profile URL plugin (https://elgg.org/plugins/1091233) to shorten URLs from mysite/profile/user to mysite/user.  I think there was some change introduced post-v.1.9 that is causing the at symbol '@' to get appended to the URL so that mysite/user becomes mysite/@user.

I can't figure out where this insertion is coming from.  I have 5 or 6 users, none of which have @ in their username.

Strangely, the first two users were added before I first enabled the plugin and they do not have '@', but every subsequent user gets '@' added on.  When I deactivate the plugin the URLs work again (so mysite/@user becomes mysite/profile/user).

The insertion is causing 404 errors because site links are pointing to the URLs with the @ symbol.  The actual, working profile pages themselves do not have @ in the URL.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  The raw PHP handling the URL shortening is below:

---

<?php

namespace ProfileURL;

const PLUGIN_ID = 'profile_url';

elgg_register_event_handler('init', 'system', __NAMESPACE__ . '\\init');

function init() {

elgg_register_plugin_hook_handler('forward', '404', __NAMESPACE__ . '\\forward_hook', 0);

elgg_register_plugin_hook_handler('registeruser:validate:username', 'all', __NAMESPACE__ . '\\check_username');

elgg_register_plugin_hook_handler('entity:url', 'user', __NAMESPACE__ . '\\member_url');

}

function forward_hook($hook, $type, $return, $params) {

$base_path = parse_url(elgg_get_site_url(), PHP_URL_PATH);

$current_path = parse_url($params['current_url'], PHP_URL_PATH);

$current_path = ($base_path == '/') ? substr($current_path, 1) : str_replace($base_path, '', $current_path);

$parts = explode('/', $current_path);

if (count($parts) == 1 && $user = get_user_by_username(str_replace('-', '.', $parts[0]))) {

elgg_set_context('profile');

$result = elgg_trigger_plugin_hook('route', 'profile', null, array(

'identifier' => 'profile',

'handler' => 'profile',

'segments' => array($user->username)

));

if ($result === false) {

// it's been handled

exit;

}

// yes private API but there's nothing we can do about it

$handlers = _elgg_services()->router->getPageHandlers();

if (is_callable($handlers['profile'])) {

$result = call_user_func($handlers['profile'], array($user->username), 'profile');

if ($result) {

exit;

}

}

}

return $return;

}

function member_url($h, $t, $r, $p) {

return elgg_get_site_url() . str_replace('.', '-', $p['entity']->username);

}

function check_username($h, $t, $r, $p) {

// yes private API but there's nothing we can do about it