Uploading plugins

I keep getting a plugin off of elgg, download its archive, extract the archive, and upload its contents in the following directory of my account:

/public_html/path-to-elgg/mod/

​but then I can't find it in plugins on my website. Any advice?

• In the zip-file there is a folder? Or is it directly files (like start.php, manifest.xml).

If it's directly files, then you need to create a folder in /mod with the name of the plugin and put the files in there.

Did you have a look at http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/plugins.html

• Is it only one plugin that fails to show up or do you have the same problem with any plugin you try? As Jerome already said, one problem could be the way the files of the plugin are located in the mod directory. If it's like

mod/plugin-name/plugin-name/start.php

then the plugin files are one folder level too low as Elgg expects start.php directly in the plugin folder (and all other files of the plugin correspondingly).

If the problem happens with all plugins, you might change the permissions and/or owner+group of the plugin files and directories during the copy action to the server resulting in the webserver not being able to read/access the files and therefore it seems that the plugin files are not even there. Compare the permissions and owner of the plugin with another plugin that works. Any difference?

If it's only one specific plugin, what's its name?

• I have the same problem with any plugin that I try to add. 

This is the one that I have been trying without success to get to work https://elgg.org/plugins/2073233 but none of them seem to work. I feel like I'm missing something but can't find a proper tutorial to watch it done correctly. I don't know what I'm missing.

• If you have the same problem will all plugins, the reason might be the way you upload the files to the server as I mentioned in my previous posting. It's a likely explanation that the file permissions and ownership changes due to the way you upload them and the webserver has no permissions of any kind on the files. Compare the permissions and owner to see if they are different to the files of bundled plugins. You might want to try to upload the zip file to the server and extract it there. Then the owner and permissions might not change.

Also, try to use only plugins compatible with the Elgg version you are using, i.e. compatible with a 2.x version of Elgg if you are using some Elgg 2.x version. A plugin written for Elgg 1.x might still work on Elgg 2.x. But it's likely that a lot of plugins do not or have at least some issues. They would still show up in the plugin list and could be enabled but might not work correctly when enabled nonetheless.

• I have no idea why it's still not working. I took a compatible file, uploaded the zip file to the server, extracted it there, but nothing shows up on my plugin list. Any other thoughts? I'll try again later. As far as the file is concerned it is exactly where it needs to be and set up correctly. I don't know what's left to try. Does anybody have a link to a tutorial or something where I can watch each step being done? I have to be missing something but I don't know what. 

•  
    for example must have F: \ xampp \ htdocs \ elgg \ mod \ easytheme2
    to see the file start.php of the theme easytheme2
  • When you extract a zip file on the server, you probably end up with a nested directory structure. As suggested above, when uploading easytheme2, make sure that start.php is in the root of the plugin directory:

/my-site/mod/easytheme2/start.php

• Here's what is happening, and for the record, I have very little experience doing this but will stick with it until I get it right. I go to elgg.org and pick out a plugin. Then I download it and use WinSCP to upload it into the mod file. I go onto Cpanel and extract it there. I get a /mod/pluggin but then it doesn't show up. My guess is that I'm putting it in the wrong mod? IS that possible? Also, the field ends with the plugins name but has start.php in the file when I open it. Is that how it's supposed to be or is there something I missed. I ask because of Ismayil Khayredinov's comment with 

/my-site/mod/easytheme2/start.php
  • @Elias Grande Don't use extract via cPanel. Just do it:

1 - Download zipped plugin on your PC

2 - Extract it in ther

3 - Upload the plugin's folder including files on your server to mod/

It's happened because

you might change the permissions and/or owner+group of the plugin files and directories during the copy action to the server resulting in the webserver not being able to read/access the files and therefore it seems that the plugin files are not even there.

as mentioned iionly

•  I did exactly that... and it doesn't work still. I loaded elggBook and it shows as mod/elggbook_pro with all the files in there and extracted. Is there any way that something outside of the file is keeping it from showing in plugins on my website? 

Just as a random thought, could it be which mod that I'm loading it into that is the problem? I've been loading the folder into the main mod folder. Should I use a different one?