is memcached any faster

Hello, I am wondering if anyone is still using memcached with elgg 2.3.3. It is easy to set up and already in the settings.php so I am wondering if any of you are using it and if so how is it or is it redundant with the simple cache/symlink thing already in the core (although I think simple cache just does static files not mysql instructions, but my newbie ignorance is why I am asking?). As well what about Redis? Any thoughts?

• yes I tried localhost, domain name, 127.0.0.1, and server ip. neither works

as well I have tried

// namespace prefix
    $CONFIG->memcache_namespace_prefix = 'ablight';

and it doesn't do it either

• did you start the memcached service?

• yes of course..memcached is running ..I had a problem getting goaccess stats to work and it was owner of the directory/files that was the trouble. I was running a cron as root and it wouldn't allow it because the dir was owned by admin so I am wondering if memcached can't access elgg dbase because elgg is owned by admin but I don't know how and can't find any info on if this could be the problem and if so how to get memcached to allow user admin

• Also note the Boot Cache will use memcache automatically if enabled. In 3.0 there's an opportunity to cache a lot more metadata if someone puts in a little work.

• I set boot to work and hope it does and changed my setting memcached input to 

$CONFIG->memcache = true;

$CONFIG->memcache_servers = array (
        array('localhost', 11211),
        array('127.0.0.1', 11211),
    );

I also set memcached OPTIONS="127.0.0.1" and now it is working. I hope this helps someone in the future.

• If you only have one memcache server, just include one in the array.

• I only have one memcached server and I tried it with just one in the array and it wouldn't work no matter what I used as input but with both 127.0.0.1 and localhost it works. I am not sure why it takes two for me instead of one but I am a happy man and I hope someone else may find this useful if a singular array doesn't work. 

• I have to say for the record, my elgg is showing two memcached servers in stats overview ..a localhost and a 127.0.0.1 but I only installed memcache with the usual yum script and as I said it wouldn't let me only use a single array entry so I don't know what to say. When I open the PHPMemcachedAdmin I set up it shows 4 servers but the second one is not responding. (see below)

Cluster Default Servers List
    127.0.0.1:11211
    Version 1.4.36, Uptime : 0 day 2 hrs 25 mins
    127.0.0.2:11211
    Server did not respond
    127.0.0.3:11211
    127.0.0.4:11211

Performance and Scalability

Performance and Scalability

If you've got a need for speed, this group is for you.