Garbage Collector 1,5

I believe this plugin (Garbage Collector 1.5) is now defunct but it was working till recently in Elgg 1.8.13. Now that I have moved to a different server within the same hosting company it no longer works. They suggest I may not have the latest cron library. Where would I find this in Elgg and what is the latest version. Is it easy to replace?

Thanks, Jon

• As you say the weekly cron worked before your site was moved to the current server. If the archive engine was enabled for the database server on the old server (and my guess is it was), then I would say by 99.99% that the current problem on the present server with the weekly cron is caused by the archive engine not being available.

Why losing your data when updating to the latest version of Elgg? There's no need to make a fresh installation. You can update from Elgg 1.8 to the latest version of Elgg without losing any data (http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/upgrading.html). The only point to consider is the availability of compatible versions of 3rd party plugins for the newer versions of Elgg. You would need to use the versions of these plugins that work on the latest version of Elgg, too. But if there are compatible versions of the plugins available there's no real reason to stay on Elgg 1.8. Nevertheless, the archive engine issue is no different on newer versions of Elgg. It's just necessary that it's enabled for the logrotate/garbagecollector to work correctly.

• iionly,

At last victory! I am very happy to say that the weekly cron is now working! It seems my hosting guy decided to activate the archive engine on the server I'm on - probably after I told him what you said about the latest Elgg version needing it too. His company promotes Elgg through Softaculous.  So no move necessary! I am most grateful to you for your patient and detailed help. You have also convinced me to finally upgrade my software which I shall be doing before too long - the documentation link you sent makes it sound easier than I'd previously thought.

Again, many thanks - Jon