Group Tools - Group Emails issue

Hi all

We are testing on ELGG2.2.3 at the moment.

We use the Groups and Group Tools plugin. We tested the Group Export feature successfully whereby we as Group owners / admins can export a list of group members directly to CSV - no problems here.

However - I tried to send a group email from the group, and even though the feature is set to allow this in the settings, and the button and screen works, I can create the email on the page etc, when I click the Send button, nobody receives the email.

And to top it all, the Statistic for Group Emails Sent count in the Statistics Dashboard increases by one, recording that a Group Email has been sent.

But nobody receives an email.

Other email features are working. Like when I post a discussion, and someone Likes it, or replies to it, I get an email notification. But no Group Email goes out.

Where do I begin to debug what the problem might be?

• And to top it all, the Statistic for Group Emails Sent count in the Statistics Dashboard increases by one, recording that a Group Email has been sent.

This lists all the Group mails to be sent.

But nobody receives an email.

Are you sure your cron is setup correctly? http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/cron.html

• We are running this system on XAMPP - on Windows Server 2012R2

I myself am familiar with CRONTAB, as I administered SAS on a Linux platform for years in my previous role, so used to setting up cron scheduled jobs. But this is where I am unable to determine if the Plugin requires cron / setting up a crontab job here. Is there anything in the documentation re this Plugin and its dependency on cron?

• Is there anything in the documentation re this Plugin and its dependency on cron?

no. The plugin depends on the Elgg notification system, which relies on the cron. You can check if your cron is working by going to /admin/statistics/cron on your site.

• I don't know if XAMPP has any kind of cron daemon by default. So, the cronjobs you would need to set up for Elgg core (any any plugin that makes use of it) will likely not run on your system. The cronjobs visit just certain site urls to trigger the execution of scripts at certain intervalls. And the scheduled notification sending is one of them (by default at the 1 minute intervall).

I wonder why you get email notifications on discussion postings and likes etc. though. Some notifications are still send immediatelly without the cron notification scheduling. So, this might be the case for these notifications.

As a fallback solution on systems without a cron daemon your can use the Crontrigger plugin instead (https://elgg.org/plugins/2512029). It triggers the cron scripts by user activity. So, no users on the site means no cronjobs triggered. And with low activity the cronjobs might also not get triggered as regularly as with a real cron system used.

Performance and Scalability

Performance and Scalability

If you've got a need for speed, this group is for you.