Advertising plugin

I am looking for an advertising plugin for the latest version of elgg (2.3) I don't want to advertise with adsense but rather post my own customized ads. Basically something similar to facebook, an image(logo) with a web address above it and a short (140-250 character) description below. It should appear in the right side as with FB and should be clickable.

• Can't you just do it with HTML? Do you need an adversiting plugin for that?

• hi ismayil, it would be great if the ads automatically showed up and rotated on the different pages on my site.

• Try and see how this plugin works. https://elgg.org/plugins/1609647

You can generate your own ads without using google ad sense or even facebook ads plugin!

• Hi Tom, this may be a stupid question, but this group is for beginners so here it goes..... Will the Plugin you recommended work for the latest version of Elgg (2.3)

I only ask because when I visit the link you gave it only mentions version 1.8

• @PeterB , Thanks for your concern. It has been a while since i worked on that plugin due to change in my work schedule. I will update it soon to work with elgg 2.3 versions.

However, You can look and see how the HTML have been used on the elgg side of the plugin.

• Hi @Tom, do you have a plugin to add easy HTML to the side bar of an Elgg site?

• @Ismayil, at the beginning of the thread you mentioned that it might be easier to accomplish this with HTML. Please could you advise ghow I could go about adding HTML to the side bar of my site? Thanks

• @PeterB, You could just use any way to display your ads as you wish. Ismayil probably means that you can design your ads in html the way you want, and making a plugin for doing just that is a bit of an overhead. But you could just use any other adserver or way of displaying your ads of your choice.

Here is a small tutorial on how you can extend the sidebar showing something custom: https://www.perjensen-online.dk/12/elgg-extend-view/

• Each add is a piece of HTML code:

/views/default/ads/ad/1.html

/views/default/ads/ad/2.html

/views/default/ads/ad/999.html

Extend the sidebar with a view elgg_extend_view('page/elements/sidebar', 'ads/rotator'), and add  /views/default/ads/rotator.php:

$ad = '';while(!$ad) {​   $index = rand(0, 999);   $ad = elgg_view("ads/ad/$index.html");}echo $ad;
  • Thank you Dries and Ismayil,

That was very helpfull. @Ismayil, for some reason, the program I am using said that there is a syntax error in line one..

$ad = '';while(!$ad) {​ $index = rand(0, 999);

I'm not a programmer by any strech of the imagination so I could not figure it out. I did use part of the code though just to test what the HTML would look like 

$ad = elgg_view("ads/ad/ad1.html");

echo $ad;

An issue I am having now is getting images and CSS styling to show up on the ADvert. I found that if I just use page styling and not attach it to a CSS sheet then it works. Fine that is no problem, but I cant get images to show up, it only gives the alternate text for the image. Any ideas why this could be?

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking