Elgg Update

Olá pessoal, vou atualizar o meu site, estou com o elgg 1.10.5, posso ir direto para elgg 1.11 e depois para 1.12 ou eu tenho que ir para elgg 1.10.6 em primeiro lugar, vá para, 1.11.0 ,

• You don't have to update to 1.10.6 before you can update to 1.11.

You only need to keep in mind that you only update by one "minor release" (second number) at a time, i.e. 1.10 -> 1.11 -> 1.12. But you can update to the latest available "bugfix release" (3rd number) of a minor release directly.

• OK thank you
    Now I clarify a doubt,
    My elgg only works installed on two directories working simultaneously.
    It is installed in the root of the server and in a subdirectory.
    Already tried to delete the folder subdirectory and leave only in the root and it does not work. What have I done wrong?

• Every time I send a plugin, I always need to upload to the mod folder in the root and the mod folder in the subdirectory, if it does not work

• What shows up in the advanced site settings in the admin area for site url and path to Elgg directory? Does one of these two entries contains the subdirectory and the other does not? Have you configured the RewriteBase in Elgg's .htaccess? Do all these entries match, i.e. all point either to the subdirectory or to the root directory whatever you actually want to be used?

• In the advanced settings the url is showing the subdirectory In the full path of the site also shows the subdirectory On the path to the directory it shows. / Home / mysite / public_html / files Only in the url appears the subdirectory All point to the subdirectory even by typing the root url for example If I enter only the name of my site it points to the subdirectory

• If both site url and path to root directory contain the subdirectory, I think your Elgg site is set up to work within the subdirectory.

Have you originally installed Elgg in the subdirectory and are you trying now to move it to the document root? Or had you always to keep the Elgg files in the document root folder AND in the subdirectory within? The latter case would be an indication that something is not correctly installed. But in case your intention is to move your site from the subdirectory to the document root (and therefore no longer have the subdirectory within the site url), you also need to update the path to the Elgg root folder and the site url entries to no longer contain the subdirectory part at the end.

It's kind of a site move as described at http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/duplicate-installation.html you are trying to do. Only you don't move to another server and you keep the location of your data directory. So, you don't have to do all the steps described in the instructions.

But to begin with (after making a backup of database and install folder!) you need to have the Elgg files (same version as used in subdirectory) also in the document root folder (in your case public_html) including settings.php in the elgg-config folder (or engine on Elgg 1) and you need to copy the .htaccess file from the subdirectory to the public_html, too. Also any 3rd party plugins need to be also in the mod folder in public_html. You should also disable the caching options of Elgg on the advanced settings page.

The database entries for site url and path to root folder can be changed in the database for example with phpMyAdmin. It should also work to change it on the advanced site settings page. Important here is to have the caching disabled for Elgg to find its files again relative to the changed url and path (with caching enabled the files would be taken still from the subdirectory). It can't hurt to call yourdomain.url/upgrade.php to flush the cache (no upgrade of Elgg done as such) and then it should work with the site url without subdirectory. You can check if it works by just renaming the subdirectory then. If the site works, you can enable caching again and delete the subdirectory. If it fails to work, you can restore your database and/or install folder again from the backup.

• Ok, eu entendi perfeitamente ... na verdade, a instalação é duplicada para trabalhar o site precisa ter todos os arquivos em ambos os lugares, chamando "public_html" e o "subdiretório" pasta.

Mas será que eu só pode mudar o ' ur l' e 'caminho completo da instalação', removendo o nome da pasta subdiretório, depois que eu iria remover o subdiretório do servidor?

• This site URL is "myelgg.com/sub

The full path of the installation

/ Home / server / public_html / sub /

The full path of the data directory:

/ Home / server / public_html / files /

"Sub" is the subdirectory name

In this case, where exactly I put the folder "files"

• I think I see now why you have a problem with setting up your site to work without the subdirectory. It's the location of your data directory. First of all, it's not correct to place the data directory somewhere within the document root directory (in your case the public_html directory) because the content of the data directory is acessible from the Internet this way - which is unsecure! It might be that earlier versions of Elgg (pre 2.0) did not check this good enough but only checked that the data directory is not in the same directory as the Elgg files. As your Elgg files are within the subdirectory the data directory is one level higher (an Elgg might asume in your case incorrectly that the data directory is outside the document root folder).

To fix this I would suggest to move the data directory from "/home/server/public_html/files/" to "/home/server/files/". If you have enough disc space, you might rather want to copy it. Make also sure that the access permissions of the data directory and all its subdirectories and files after copying/moving are set so that the webserver can read/write/acess them all. Either set permissions to 777 for everything or change the owner:group of the directories and files to be owned by the webserver account (e.g. wwwrun:www).

For setting the site to work without the subdirectory the site url would be "myelgg.com" and the full path to the installation would be "/home/server/public_html/". You also need to update the path to the data directory to point to the new location, e.g. "/home/server/files/".

Additionally, when moving the data directory to another location you also need to update the so called "filestore::dir_root" entry in the database to also point to the new location. In principle you need to updata all database entries listed at http://learn.elgg.org/en/stable/admin/duplicate-installation.html#database-entries. As the "filestore::dir_root" entry can't be updated in the admin section of your site but only directly in the database with phpMyAdmin or a similar tool, you need to learn how to update the entries as described in the docs. If you know how to change a database entry, you can change all of them in the database without the need to be logged in during the transition.

So, backup first everything (Elgg install files including all plugins), database and data directory. Then disable all caching mechanism of Elgg on the advanced settings page. Then move (copy if possible) the data directory to the new location. Then update all the database entries. Then call "myelgg.com/update.php" in the browser. Now your site should fully work when accessing "myelgg.com". If that's the case you can delete the subdirectory and the data directory at the old location. If not, you can restore the old state from the backup.

• Once again thank you very much for your explanation, very clear! For me still the "update or input of the database" is still complex for me, even reading the documentation elgg I am still having difficulties in that part