2 Questions

Hello there, I'm new to elgg but I do have a working server using elgg. The only problem I'm having is changing the file size limit for uploads. Out side of that great software! 

Question 1

I believe i have to change the max settings of a particular variable. This is .htaccess and I'm unsure which setting is the proper one for image size allocation, and zip file allocation. IF there is a different file with the information, Id appreciate idea where i can find it! 

Question 2

How do you build plugins to change the layout or colors of the site? I'm used to changing the css of web pages and manually creating each layout. I know you have to find the mods folder and then the default theme or something like that, but where is the direct path? Also how do you install a new layout? Do users choose it? or does it set as default through the entire site? 

Q1 Code
############################
# PHP SETTINGS
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
        # limit the maximum memory consumed by the php script to 64 MB
        php_value memory_limit M 250
        # register_globals is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0 - disable it for security reasons.
        php_value register_globals 0
        # post_max_size is the maximum size of ALL the data that is POST'ed to php at a time (8 MB)
        php_value post_max_size 8388608
        # upload_max_filesize is the maximum size of a single uploaded file (5 MB)
        php_value upload_max_filesize 500000
        # on development servers, set to 1 to display errors. Set to 0 on production servers.
        php_value display_errors 0
</IfModule>