Elgg 2.2.2 Zip looks awkward to me

Hi there ..!

I am in a process of trying to upgrade elgg 1.12.12 to elgg 2.2.2 but the download zip looks totally different from the older elgg..

The older elgg has the folder:

.scripts

.txt

_graphics

actions

docs

engine

grunt

install

js

languages

mod

pages

vendor

vendors

views

while the new 2.2.2 has

elgg-config

mod

vendor

thats it .. now if i upload it should i delete the rest of the subfolders of the old elgg are is the installation method itself is completely changed for elgg 2.x ??? .. Going through the upgrade document i dont understand anything .. (http://learn.elgg.org/en/2.0/admin/upgrading.html)

• Can anyone help me with the procedure on how to upgrade it's really confusing as inside the vendor folder there is a folder called Elgg which has the previous elgg folders in it but the vendor folder is missing so my confusion is really increasing more i have prepared the as usual basic steps for upgrade but the 2.2.2 download zip does not resemble the old elgg folder structure. Someone plz help me   

• Yes, the core files moved to /vendor/elgg/elgg, but your settings.php and 3rd party plugins stay in their old locations.

• FWIW well tell ppl to first upgrade to 2.0 and 2.1 before installing 2.2.

• cgi:error] [pid 7097] [client 123.122.22.158:22473] AH01215: PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function setDisplay() on null in /home/user/public_html/vendor/elgg/elgg/engine/lib/elgglib.php on line 1482: /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/ea-php56

in elgglib php code is:

1480 function _elgg_shutdown_hook() {
    1481	try {
    	1482	_elgg_services()->logger->setDisplay(false);
    	1483	elgg_trigger_event('shutdown', 'system');

In Chrome i am getting an error stating too many redirects 

• Thanks for your help but i am getting some error i don't know how to solve ..

In Firefox i get this error:

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

• someone plz help me with this error  

• I have finished the upgrade successfully..

Let me share some of the difficulty i faced while trying to upgrade from 1.12.12 to 2.2.2

1) The Elgg download zip file structure has been completely changed more importantly there was no mention of this anywhere in the upgrade document is shocking (http://learn.elgg.org/en/2.0/admin/upgrading.html)

2) There is no clear instruction present for 1.x to 2.x in the upgrade document the elgg community should take prior steps in adding a clear upgrade document by keeping in the mind about the END USER who has a very less knowledge in Scripts (http://learn.elgg.org/en/2.0/admin/upgrading.html)

3) I had to go through google search to find community discussions to upgrade my elgg which i have never done for previous upgrade including 1.8 - 1.9 , 1.9 - 1.10 , 1.10 - 1.11 as the upgrade document was clear.

The following discussions helped me to fix the upgrade:

https://elgg.org/discussion/view/2491155/i-am-trying-to-install-version-211-its-doesnt-start

https://elgg.org/discussion/view/2560359/upgrade-woes-from-11213-to-2x

The major problem is the elgg upgrade doc is not clear for 1.x to 2.x . Which the elgg community has to look in to very seriously. before encouraging to upgrade to 2.x  

• What's shocking is that everybody complains how shocking it is but doesn't take the time to help keep the docs up to date. We already spend ridiculous amount of time maintaining Elgg. Please do your share and update docs based on your experiences. We do our best here so don't blame us.

• I really don't blame anyone here the core team is working hard in developing the elgg better everyday even some core elgg members still find time in upgrading & maintaining there respective plugin is something extraordinary. Infact without the elgg core team there is no better elgg.. The thing is after so much of improvement and hard work placed by the elgg team the upgrade doc is still not as upgraded as elgg which also should be seen on the other hand.. As a community we who benefit from elgg i guess can do the document part & i guess the elgg community can open a discussion thread & ask the community itself to prepare a document so that the elgg community might approve & update the document. So everyone gets benefited. 

Thank you Ismayil for your input .

• Well, that's always the same: "I guess", "we should"... Just do it. Did I ask for a community's permission to move things along, do I spend endless time guessing and contemplating? If I were, we would still be doing things the Elgg 1.8 way. Sorry, for spilling my guts, but I am tired of these posts. They are always the same, they never get anywhere, they never nudge anybody to do anything, they tick the core team's nerves etc etc etc. It's just blah blah blah blah blah, for as long as I remember myself in this community.

Performance and Scalability

Performance and Scalability

If you've got a need for speed, this group is for you.