Elgg must focus on reviewing and organising existing plugins.

Hi, I started my freelancing career  as Elgg Developer, in 2012. However in past one Year I noticed that I have to look around, and I found node.js as quite interesting. So now I am learning and focusing on that. while I am still sticking to building social networking platforms.

However Here is my advise to Elgg. we guys really need to review existing plugins. we just cant be proud to own  maximum number of plugins. because actually its going to become major drawback. because the effort to find right plugins is more. and  for many of the new comers, Elgg is alwase tough modify,reconfigure etc.

I understand that you guys dont have bandwidth to review each and Every plugins.

However I recommend you to build more democratic approach toward this issues, so that you can naturally delegate the task to interested parties, just like how  stackoverflow doing.

(1) Ask people to takeover old plugin, or enable  people to request to take over old plugin.

(2) add bug/feature tracking facility  The present feature of simply commenting is not good for doing requirement/bug tracking.

(3) Create a more and more group/subgroups  of plugins which are doing similar things ,or trying to resolve same issue. 

(4) Change the plugin homepage, and make more useful for people who want search plugin. force people to review and Rate.

(5)  Delete those plugin which are doing only small thing, like touching site menu, top menu .etc. instead add that code as example, or categorised that as tiny plugin.

(6) Delete those plugin which are just duplicate of some plugin.

(7) Allow people to fund/donate for the improvement of old plugins.  add new requirement into plugins etc.. So that developers can contact them in that area.

• Nice initiative but i guess this was already taken & the core team had some problem i don't remember but i guess the forum is still present some where here .. U need to have a search & look around ..

• This is worthy of a longer response. For now: Overall I agree UX around plugin discovery is seriously lacking and deserves more attention. Disagree that issue/feature mgmt should take place on community; stronger integration with GitHub, Packagist, and similar seem like the future.

• ok with GIT for issue management.

two  more suggestion just stuck in my brain.

(8) currently few plugins are permanently siting in plugin home page. under the heading top rated. and top downloaded.   Even some of them are out dated now.   that dents Elggs reputation.  So atlist top 50 plugins need  to be reviewed.   and most importantly.  Show top rated or downloaded in last year. instead of lifetime.  that will encourage some developer to be on plugin homepage.

(9) comments per plugin release is not user friendly.  old style of comments was better. ( you can add filter for comments ) rather then totally different page.

• currently few plugins are permanently siting in plugin home page. under the heading top rated. and top downloaded.   Even some of them are out dated now.   that dents Elggs reputation.  So atlist top 50 plugins need  to be reviewed.   and most importantly.  Show top rated or downloaded in last year. instead of lifetime.  that will encourage some developer to be on plugin homepage.

+1

comments per plugin release is not user friendly.  old style of comments was better. ( you can add filter for comments ) rather then totally different page.

I don't agree (i'm developer). It helps me to find out what version the user is using when reporting a bug (hoping the comment is on the version they use)

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.