LIcence Terms of use.

We are a group of programmers, and we would do our own version of Elgg ( fork from Elgg ) with different plugins ( community and themselves).

Our think is do a Social Network to a educational instituton like schools, accadem, university... Wth tree rols, admin, teachers and students.

We plan to maintain our own plugins to release , update , upload our version of Elgg, to our server so that anyone can get with the same philosophy that has Elgg .

If we do, there would be a problem with the license Elgg ?
What's the best licence to do it?

We would put all credits and licences from Elgg , the contributors and  plugin coder's.

Thnx for the advice!
  • we would do our own version of Elgg ( fork from Elgg )

I have never had any reason to make a fork of Elgg (for the goal of making custom modifications to it). It is possible to do pretty much anything through plugins.

upload our version of Elgg, to our server so that anyone can get with the same philosophy that has Elgg .

Why go through the trouble of maintaining your own version, when you could instead participate in developing the official version of Elgg?

If we do, there would be a problem with the license Elgg

The GPL 2 licence allows you to make changes to Elgg source code.

What's the best licence to do it?

No, you are in fact not allowed to change the licence used for Elgg core and existing plugins. Only the original authors of the code can make such a decision. You must use the licence that Elgg uses (GPL2 for core plugins, and combination of GPL 2 and MIT license for Elgg core).

• You can naturally use any licence you like for plugins that you make yourselves.

• It is better to develop ELGG, instead of creating a fork.

• yeah.. why dont you help in developing elgg rather than creating a new fork. Even I am using elgg as an educational community and I would love to use your plugins.

• I agree with all the replies posted here.

We developed a custom product using elgg. We didn't modify core, we made our own plugin customizations, because we can easily upgrade to the latest version of elgg. It is far more easy to build custom plugins rather than maintain a whole elgg fork.

However, you can use elgg in any way you want.

• There is one very good reason to fork elgg: the core developers are racing ahead, insert debilitating code  and plugin functionality quickly becomes difficult and time consuming to maintain. Plugin developers simply give up after a while. Maintaining your own fork is much easier. It doesn't help when web hosts offering elgg hosting stop providing support (e,g my experience of one formerly award winning host is that their support became by ticket only and response times are around 6 months+ after they were taken over by EIG).

• the core developers are racing ahead, insert debilitating code 

Care to explain that?

Maintaining your own fork is much easier.

How so? It is not. So much to take care of for just one person.

web hosts offering elgg hosting stop providing support

I don't think so, web hosts fully support version 2.1, and well, they even support 1.7 (not recommended though)

This is an elgg test site built with version 2.1

http://labs.milocker.com/

And here's another one built with elgg:

http://academy.swsocialweb.com/

(It is PiGo LMS, and this deployment has 99 active students)