Problem while member search

Hi,

I have a problem while search members, its very slow it take 17sec with default elgg 2.1.1.

I am using profile manage with 15 fields and the user is more than 30K. But all other(object , tags) search good and it comes within 3sec.

Kindly help us. Any suggestion ..

• Have you customized search at all?  Are many of the fields tags?  Are you searching any metadata? If so that could make search more resource intensive.  Generally for sites with that many users I recommend offloading search to something like Solr.

https://elgg.org/plugins/1635100

• Thanks Matt.

Sure i will try solr

FYI : No, I didn't customized any thing. 10 fields are tagged as tags. yes all 10 fields are included in search as  metadata.

• 10 fields are tagged as tags. yes all 10 fields are included in search as  metadata

That's why then.  I just gave a talk about this very problem at ElggCamp in Italy.  It's a combination of MySQL and the Elgg database normalization that can cause the slowdown when trying to match on multiple metadata points.  Solr will fix it :)

• What, if any, are the possible downsides or potential problems of using the Solr plugin?

Should Solr be used on most Elgg sites? What are the considerations?

• Downsides: more complexity - you need a solr server, or at least a solr instance running on your server, potentially more hosting costs.  Potential problems - none that I'm aware of.

Should Solr be used on most Elgg sites?

Not necessarily, if your site isn't experiencing any slowdowns and you're happy with the search as-is then there's no reason to use it.  It's a tool for scalability for those that need it.