Help needed removing RSS link

I would very much like to know how to remove the RSS link and its orange icon that appear on many mod pages of my faithful old version 1.8. There is only one explanation on the Elgg site but it does not make sense, at least to me. What exactly is "Elgg's care". Also, do I add the code to the main engine start.php page or to each mod start.php page? The vintage of the post suggests it should work with v. 1.8.

This is the post I'm referring to:

https://elgg.org/pages/view/831235/how-to-remove-an-rss-icon-from-the-sidebar

Would much appreciate some help on this.

• elgg_unregister_plugin_hook_handler('output:before', 'layout', 'elgg_views_add_rss_link');

• Many thanks RvR. I'll put this at end of code in all the mod start.php files that show the RSS link

• RVR - I was surprised  to find that just adding the code to one mod start.php - ie. in the blog mod, it has eliminated the RSS link from all the other ones. Would it have been better to put it in engine/start.php?

Probably my imagination but seem to detect a slight slowdown in loading since doing this. Maybe I should have put code in engine/start.php?

Also, should I have enclosed it in { }  ?

• No to pretty much everything you just said :)

Yes it eliminates it globally, that's expected.  If you want to eliminate it from just one page you're going to need a more nuanced approach using the 'register', 'menu:extras' plugin hook

Sounds like you need to brush up on your PHP skills.  NEVER put ANYTHING in engine/start.php, if that's your go-to thinking for problem solving you are on the wrong track.

• Thanks Matt - I'll leave it the way it is as it's just fine. And no, I have never touched the core scripts.