Comparison with other systems

Hi, I'm coming from the Joomla world and i used to use JomSocial as my community builder. Can someone tell me the major benefits of this new system? just trying to make a good decision as the other seems to be lagging behind.

Many thanks

• Hi there, welcome to Elgg.

I'm unfamiliar with JomSocial so I can't give you a direct comparison but if it's anything like BuddyPress or Drupal Commons then it's a case of social functions being tacked onto a CMS.  Elgg is first and foremost a framework for creating social functionality, that's the core of the software.  I consider the major benefit the fact that pretty much anything can be customized with a plugin, and it's easy to do once you learn the system.  I came to Elgg from Drupal and I found the learning curve in Elgg easier, though that's probably subjective and different for everyone.

You've probably already scoped it out but we have a plugin listing here so you can check out some of the available community plugins that you can use right off the bat to accomplish some things.

Our documentation can be found here and it covers a bunch of topics depending on what you might be looking for: http://learn.elgg.org

• Search for "jomsocial" here and you might get some useful info. The obvious: Elgg is open source and most (all hosted here) are also.

Elgg's default UX is not very polished in comparison, but it's more of a base framework for building custom solutions, like Drupal. See the Showcase for examples.

A large reason for the slow UX momentum is that Elgg takes backwards compatibility very seriously. You can find quite old Elgg sites that have been slowly upgraded to the latest version provided their plugins stay up-to-date with the APIs.

Biggest weaknesses IMO: Base product is not receiving sufficient front-end design work; core team involvement is low lately (a lot more activity in 3rd party plugins); The JS is dated (though AMD is helping) and much of default UX involves full page loads.

Strengths: Rich plugin API (nearly everything is modifiable without touching core); serious commitment to SemVer; awesome 3rd party plugins (like Solr integration, more ajax UX); great community; good docs; very open development.

• Anyone have thoughts about HumHub?