Major issues!

Firstly it worked fine, Images, Avatars etc all showing.....

I then tried adding a few new photos (tidypics Plugin), They seemed to be going fine but then, the page didnt redirect to the photos as it usually does?

So i go into my softaclous panel to see it Elgg needs upgrading to next version(You will be Upgrading to : Elgg, Version : 1.12.4) but when i hit the upgrade button i get The following errors were found :

Required PHP extension not found : mbstring

So i dont know what to do apart from back up what i have can anyone point me in right direction please??

Thank you kindly....

• Well just an update with a rebuild of everything on my server to definatly make sure i could run elgg correctly it still didnt work, so ive deleted everything and started again, thankfully all members were close friends and were just getting started but would like to thank everybody for the help and input!

• Well just an update with a rebuild of everything on my server to definatly make sure i could run elgg correctly it still didnt work, so ive deleted everything and started again, thankfully all members were close friends and were just getting started but would like to thank everybody for the help and input!