Is there any way to have a better performance on vps server?

hello to everyone,before few days i moved my community from shared server to a vps server but only with 8 persons online is very slow and with a huge loading times from page to page.So i ask my servers hosting company if its normal and if there is any way to  fix the performance of vps server.The answer was to find an admin for linux server.

Any way,any friend knows any way to fix the performance?any tip or something?

• and just now i get this

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at openplace.byethost7.com Port 80

any help?
  • Who is your hosting company?

• You're paying $20 for a not so great specs on VPS. I'd consider switching to Nginx instead of Apache.

• so @manacim you suggest me to change hosting service right?

• To be honest, that is quite a low spec vps, a little expensive for the specs....

• @manacim whats the difference between apache hosters and Nginx??

• Nginx is just another webserver program like Apache that is often said to have a better performance. Downside seems to be (never used Nginx myself) that it's more difficult to configure. But I don't think that you will get much of a performance gain on a small site with Nginx anyway.

The bottleneck on your VPS is most likely the RAM of only 768MB. You need to keep in mind that the RAM is used not only by Elgg (or rather the http, mysql and php processes started by Elgg when users are on your site) but also by the OS kernel and other services (mailserver, DNS, etc. etc.).

More RAM helps a lot. For example the Internal Server Error you seemed to have could be caused the lack of RAM resulting in processes not being able to start and therefore no results getting delivered. You could ask your hoster if they offer a custom plan with more RAM (anything else still basic plan). And then you might also want to optimize the mysql config to make the best of the available RAM (buffer sizes, caching, number of connections etc.).

Performance and Scalability

Performance and Scalability

If you've got a need for speed, this group is for you.