i want to ask if is normal when i have 8-10 users online my hosting server to be on the limits

Hello friends,sorry for my not so good english,but i have a major problem.

for 2 days and after i sent to some friendly big greek sites an invitation for my new elgg community ,my elgg site because of trafic almost died.

this is what i get from control panel and what i send that moment to my hosting support

"i have 8 users online and i see to control panel this
CPU Usage
92 / 100 %
Entry Processes
22 / 22

is this normal with only 8 users?"

and this is the answer from the staff 

"Hi there,

Unfortunately it depends, having 8 users can still use the entire CPU / Processes if the script permits it.

public_html/elgg/index.php

This is the throttled script causing this issue. You should check , optimize / disable access until you can fix the issue.

Please let us know if there is anything further we can do for you."

So i want to ask you

a)is this normal?

b)is there any way to optimize scripts as the hosting service say to me?

c)any other ideas?

• hi @tom thanks for reply,no i dont get wrong message,but when i overload my site with multi refresh(i hit f5 lot of times),elgg hammer doesnt respond and the site goes to 100% cpu usage and the result is this

"Fatal error in exception handler. Check log for Exception #1444020804"

So my gues is that elgg hammer not working,right?

• As it says, check the server log to find out what the reason for the fatal error is. Look into the log for the exception number. My guess is that it might be the mysql server that can't handle the number of connections and / or queries, stops to respond and then you get a fatal error.

Elgg won't work any good on shared servers even with only a few concurrent users. The resources available on such servers are just too limited. And sooner or later the webhoster might even have to shut down your site if it slows down the whole server and disturbs other sites on the same server. On VPS servers it should work much better.

• THANKS @iionly  this is my plan to move to VPS server!!!! be well and thanks!

• @πανος to have web server and mysql server in the same machine is not a good performance idea (especially if it is a basic server). Take a look here, the basic option can handle up to 40 concurrent users (depending the number of enabled plugins you have in Elgg).

Professional Services

Professional Services

Get / offer professional help on Elgg; like customization, design, development, setup, hosting... Illegal trades are not allowed.