Upgrading points of minor versions?

In the documentation it says;

Upgrade only one minor version at a time (1.6 => 1.7, then 1.7 => 1.8)

Unless I missed it, there doesn't appear to be any instructions when upgrading points of minor versions; 1.10.1 => 1.10.2, 1.10.2 => 1.10.3, 1.10.3 => 1.10.4 etc.

I noticed in the latest download there is a file /ChangeLog which lists the updated files.

2015-04-05  Steve Clay <steve@mrclay.org>

* CHANGELOG.md, composer.json: chore(release): v1.10.5

Can we just upload the updated files or do we have to upload all of them again?

• When upgrading to a newer bugfix release when staying on the same minor release it should be no problem to jump to the latest available bugfix release directly, i.e. 1.10.1 -> 1.10.5. In the same way you can also upgrade directly to the latest available minor release, i.e. 1.9.8 -> 1.10.5 (but in this case only upgrade to the next minor release one by one like 1.7.23 -> 1.8.20 -> 1.9.8 -> 1.10.5 and not directly for example from 1.7.23 -> 1.10.5).

When upgrading to the newer version you could of course upload only the changed files of the new version to your server. But you should make sure that you upload really all changed files. I don't find the changelog file of much use to find out what files have changed (and quite frankly: I'm not sure if it lists all changed files in all cases). Instead I use a diff tool to directly compare the content of the old and new version to see which files have changed.

• Using a diff tool is a good tip. I have WinMerge, I'll look into using it.

Most are probably only running a single Elgg installation, I'm currently at four and hope to have more. While It isn't a huge deal to upload all of the files (thousands), if I only had to upload thirty to one hundred the job would go much quicker.

• I'm not sure if it lists all changed files in all cases

It doesn't list everything. E.g. some internal changes are not necessarily mentioned.

I prefer upgrading sites directly from Elgg's git version control repository. One command from the command line and git updates all of the code automatically (it also removes the obsolete files that have been removed from the latest version). I recommend looking into that if you have access to the command line.

• I recommend looking into that if you have access to the command line.

@Juho, I don't but that is an excellent suggestion for those that do.