updated instructions

I am trying to install elgg-1.10.3 on my ECS Liva computer using ubuntu 24.04 lts.  I cannot get past the rewrite test using the firefox that came with ubuntu. That is, in the setup wizard, when I click the 'test' link, I get a not found for rewrite.php.  I have enabled the rewrite module in apache2.  But there are no lines of code in /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf to set AllowOverride All.  Apparently apache2 has changed since the elgg installation instructions were written?  I did find such lines of code in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf so I set AllowOverride All in that file. And I did copy htaccess.dist to .htaccess in /var/www/html/elgg1.10.3/install/config.  Also, I have no idea if I am putting things in the proper directories based on what the whole apache2-mysql-php-elgg system is expecting.  I wish someone would write up instructions based on current software and explicitely state where to put all files so that it should work everytime and any files or lines of code that need to be modifed.  In other words, just give me instructions with no ambiguity that if I follow them 100%, I will be successful 100%.

• once and for all ubuntu 14.04 lts!

• I ran into the same thing somewhat, I don't believe rewrite.php is there which is why you are getting the error 404.

Check the root of your domain for your server and you should see .htaccess

Make sure it has:

# REWRITE RULES

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on

• Thank you for trying to help me, Dan.  I checked the file

/var/www/html/elgg1.10.3/install/config/.htaccess and it does contain the three lines of code you wrote.

I read the comments about RewriteBase and I tried RewriteBase /elgg-1.10.3 and RewriteBase /elgg-1.10.3/

Both failed.  When I access my installation with Firefox I type  localhost/elgg-1.10.3 into the address bar and I get the elgg setup wizard.  I also get the setup wizard when I type  127.0.1.1/elgg-1.10.3   When I click the "Next" button I get the "Requirements" page with the rewrite test failure.  Then clicking the manual "test' link gives the 404 error that rewrite.php is missing.  Also, the Requirements page mentioned that my browser will not support checking via JavaScript.  I typed about:config into the firefox address bar then and looked at the long list of settings until I found the JavaScript entry that had "boolean  True".  So I do not understand what more I can do to make my browser support checking rewrite  via JavaScript.

• Robert, it appears you are installing on a local machine since you are showing 127.0.1.1 which I'm not really familiar with.

If I'm correct, since you are installing on a local machine it means everything has to be installed and working properly to meet the installation requirements. Please refer to the documentation http://learn.elgg.org/en/latest/intro/install.html

Since you have installed under Ubuntu, you should see this section of the documentation. http://learn.elgg.org/en/latest/intro/install/ubuntu.html

The only time I ran into the situation of it saying to couldn't run the rewrite test was when I was trying to install in a sub-domain so it might be some kind of path issue thing if rewrite is enabled but can't be found or perhaps it's not even activated.