Registration without realname

Hello,

i want to give new members the ability to register without 'Display Name'. But if i leave the field empty at registration the registration process ends with 'Unknown error' and no confirmation email is being send.

I tried the plugin 'No Name 1.0' that removes the realname field. Registration form works but the new user never gets an confirmation email but i get the following error message:

223005936.not-valid: Not found in DNS (NXDOMAIN)

... während der Kommunikation mit dem Mailserver cg4-p00-ob.smtp.rzone.de:
   >>> DNS LOOKUP (MX, 223005936.not-valid)
   <<< 550 5.1.2 223005936.not-valid: Not found in DNS (NXDOMAIN)

Any hints how to solve that?

• The No Name plugin (at least the plugin with that name I found on http://weborganizm.org/totemz/v/2015/elgg-hacks#5328) does not save the email address of the registered user. Instead it replaces whatever the user entered when registeing with some unique "pseudo" information in the file noname/actions/register.php:

$email = time() . '@' . rand() . '.not-valid';

My guess is that whoever wrote this plugin intended to allow registering without providing any valid email address anyway. For that reason you would have to disable the uservalidationbyemail plugin. But I wouldn't recommend doing that if you aren't sure that you can verify the good will of your users by other means.

Also, nobody requires the users to enter their real name as displayname when registering an account. They are free to enter either the username again or something else (real or not) The two name fields are there mainly because you need some unique identifier (username) for authentification at login but you might also want to allow different people having the same name (which shows up on the site). Otherwise, you might have one lucky "John" but a lot of "John1", "John2" etc. who are not really happy about their displayname.

If you still want to use the No Name plugin you would have to correct at least the email issue in the file noname/actions/register.php:

$email = get_input('email');

But I would suggest to compare additionally the register.php and useradd.php forms and actions of the No Name plugin with the corresponding forms and actions of Elgg core as there might other modifications included in the plugin that are either not necessary to get rid of the displayname input field at registering an account or maybe even result in errors / security issues. You also have to keep in mind that other 3rd party plugins might not work correctly, if you modify the register view / remove the displayname input field from the login form. For example the Profile Manager plugin does some validation of user input on the register form and it might fail to work if the register form has been changed.

• will the new members dont have to give there real names, by default all elgg groups as far as i no, the real name field has to be filled. but say if your real name is tom, you dont have to put that in, you can put like cooldude say as the real name 

try that without the plugin you said about. as i got members on my groups and they have used nicknames so to speak.

hope that has helped as well of what iionly has suggested aswell

• Thank you for your detailed answers.

I now understand that these three fields are necessary to give the users the ability to hide their email-adresses while having a free to choose display name!

• your very welcome.

thats what we are all here for, to help each other