Install of elgg 1.9 rc5 results in blank page following install.

I have installed elgg 1.9 rc5.  I get through the installer fine with no errors.  After creating the admin account I am directed to the admin site which loads no css files leaving a white background page with only the menu links on the left side of the page.  when going to the main site, there is nothing but a white page.  No plugins are installed, just the base elgg release.  Any ideas where to start looking for php errors?

Thanks,

Bret

• What's the URL of your site?

Clear the cache and make sure that site URL, dataroot and wwwroot are set with trailing slash

• all URLs are set with the trailing slash.  the site URL is here

• There's obviously some error here, not just broken paths. Have a look at: http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/White_page

• I guess I will wait till the final release. Ive downloaded the file several times and reinstalled it multiple times. Nothing changes.

• the server logs may contain some useful info

• Current RC is very stable, whatever problem you're experiencing it's unlikely to be affected of magically fixed by final 1.9. I constantly use it and lots of people as well are running it (including this community site) and nobody reported similar problem.

White screen basically means that you have some error behind it that's not displayed (due to server setting) and I'd strongly advice to check what it is. Reinstalling won't help. Did you try anything from the link I posted?

• yes, I've tried everything I can think of.  1.8 works fine.  1.9 just won't load.

• Few questions:

1. Did you try enabling display_errors?

2. Did you try putting file with name "disabled" in the mod dir?

3. Did you look into server error log? What did you find?

• Have you any other applications installed on the same server and are you trying to install Elgg 1.9 into a subdirectory? If that's the case, has the other application also a .htaccess file - maybe in the main doc root directory?

I'm asking because others have reported problems with installing Elgg 1.9 on such conditions while Elgg 1.8 worked for them without issues, too. I suspect you might try to install Elgg 1.9 in a similar way as you linked a subdomain.

The problem (possible Elgg 1.9 core bug) could not be fixed so far because the people who reported the problem so far were either not capable to give more detailed information about the install environment or simply did not respond anymore at all. But it's important to have as much info as possible to be able to reproduce the server setting to be able to fix a possible bug. Without being able to reproduce an error the core devs simply can't fix a bug (if it really exists).

So, any feedback from you can help. And waiting for a final 1.9 will most likely not help you. As Pawel mentioned, 1.9 is already almost finished and it seems to work fine so far. Only if you can provide info that this isn't the case under specific conditions, it can be considered for the final 1.9.

• Hi,

I have encountered the same problem

My solution is toWwwroot permissions is enough include subdirectories If you are installing a stable versionI am a local test installation by 777。 run composer after git clone package if you are installing a developer version , http://blog.elgg.org/pg/blog/evan/read/248/installing-elgg-from-github-composer-required-for-110   in this blog .it's my  solution :   run curl -sS https://getcomposer.org/installer | php    in your wwwroot where is code live ,then  run php composer.phar install ,The same  Wwwroot permissions is enough include subdirectoriesComplete the above ,installing is finished .