Upgrade Elgg without maintenance mode?

Hello again, I really need to update my Elgg core files but what is the best approach? I am scared of doing maintenance mode and losing all my traffic because time is money, literally. 

Would it be unwise to upgrade without maintenance mode?

• Do it fast then. ;-)

But seriously, how much more time would your site be offline if something goes wrong during the upgrade? Better safe than sorry. It happened to me once that a user registered just at the wrong moment while core files were replaced. It crashed the whole DB. Better keep the users out while upgrading. If you prepare the upgrade process then it won't take more than a couple of minutes: create a folder with the new Elgg installation in parallel (if you want to including all 3rd party plugins). Then you can "move" this folder to the Elgg root directory location once your ready (maybe removing the old files and directories completely first to have a clean install). Moving on the server will finish much faster than copying (or even uploading).

And never forget to backup everything first (database, install folder and data directory). As mentioned above: better safe than sorry.

• I setup my webmin with virtualmin, to do a daily backup so I'm good on that part. Hmm, you do make a point about having the new files already on the server instead of overwriting it file per file. I'm gonna have to duplicate my public_html directory then overwrite the new public_html with new Elgg core files. 

This way it's seamless and don't have to use maintenance mode for more than 10 seconds or so.

• Schedule downtime and use maintenance mode.  It's safer, and *that's* worth money too.

• Yeah I should probably use maintenance mode.

• ok a suggestion from me aswell

i would recommend you use maintenance mode as it will save alot of time and hard work if something goes wrong. and as Matt has said send out a email to them al to say when your going to maintence mode while you the upgrade and see how ya go, hope it all works out really good