Higher Walls: Disable public access options

In order to make Elgg a viable option at my school, I need to prevent students from providing access to material to the public. All must be restricted to logged in, groups, or private. (unless there is a way to moderate that which is public: user submit and admin publish)

Anyone have a quick and easy way to remove it as an option? I'm looking through the code and may find a solution myself.

I also may need to close rss feeds. Probably can work that out too.

It may sound draconian, but this is the only way it will pass muster.

• Great Dave! I can work my way through making a plugin to do 1 and 3. Sounds like you have a plan for 2.

Thanks!

• I see where to edit engine/lib/access.php

What I can't get is the start.php for the plugin. Not sure what to hook into.

<?php

function nopublic_init() {

// Extend system CSS with our own styles

extend_view('css','nopublic/css');

register_plugin_hook('access','all','new_access');

}

function new_access() {

if (!@include_once(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))) . "/nopublic/access.php") return false;

return true;

}

// Make sure the plugin has been registered

register_elgg_event_handler('init','system','nopublic_init');

?>

• Diego pointed to a clever way to do much of this using the views system: http://community.elgg.org/pg/pages/view/4834/

Unfortunately, it is not bulletproof and I need to have it bulletproof as I see access levels being changed by users as the move from private drafts.

I hope to offer a k12 plugin for educators Nov 23, so others can jump into using Elgg for schools.

• Well, I just got it to work and have created a plugin that removes "public" as an option when creating content. Next step is to disable rss feeds.

I'll put out the plugin shortly!

Steve

• I combined this with the Walled Garden plugin. It removes the public option for access and the RSS/OpenDD options on the owner's block. I called it Higher Walls.